1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT Comb aftermarket "Fix"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starshot2b, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

XT Comb aftermarket

LoL...I feel your pain as a fellow XT owner with a factory comb that went flat a few times during a shoot (thank heavens for washers).

I spoke with my stock guy today - he's had quite a few requests to switch out the Browning hardware with standard comb hardware - mines coming up. I'm guessing quite a few of the really good stock guys (Greg Hissem, Ken Rucker, etc) could do it. Definitely worth checking out (and doing).

Good luck.

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

XT Comb aftermarket

I do lots of these....remove the factory junk, fill in the pockets in the stock and comb with fitted walnut plugs, sand everything glass smooth, install my normal hardware and finish the surfaces. Labor intensive, but gives great results. Also req'd. most of the time before installing a recoil reduction system as well.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

3. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

XT Comb aftermarket

See, I told you!

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

XT Comb aftermarket

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Here is a cheap fix that works. I found nylon bushings at local hardware store. I found longer ones to substitute the post. Also need longer screws. My hardware was beat up from last owner. At some point im going to send to Ken at Speedbumpstockworks for a hardeware lift and rad2 or new bumpbuster. maybe in fall. but in the meantime this works and is cheap. It no longer comes loose and i was able to increase how high i can set the comb. One tip. my plate screwed onto the stock was very tightly fit. In getting it off I dropped the stock putting a good ding in it. It had already had some handling marks when i bought so didnt hurt me to much. A good gun vise is also on my list. The different thickness in washers for keeping it in place all the time even if it does come loose. Very disapointing how crappy the hardware is on the brownings.

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

XT Comb aftermarket

Hey, Mac....yours is the old style Browning hardware.....not the same as we are talking about replacing....what you have is much better than the newer stuff of theirs.

Ken

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

XT Comb aftermarket

geeezzz, thats really bad then. well the guy who owned this before just cranked the #$%^ out of the screws. Dam near chopped the posts in half. This will do for now Im haveing to much fun shooting right now to get it out to you Ken, for a over haul/ bumpbuster install. I am not shooting the winter league this year. I plan on sending my stock out to you buy then. Just spent a ton of $$$ on truck new tires brakes Timming belt water pump ect ect 110,000 mile redo. need a little recovery time.

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

XT Comb aftermarket

No problem....send it at your convenience. Your style of hardware had aluminum posts....it's pretty easy to replace them with some new steel ones. That's usually all that's req'd. in your case.

Ken

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

XT Comb aftermarket

thats great a bit less to save. Ive got A few white dings on my stock can you do anything with that......sleep now.

9. guncase

guncase TS Member

XT Comb aftermarket

Tom Larkin has also designed a exchange hardware for this problem with these guns. 507-254-4694 Will be in Wisconsin next week, and Iowa the week after. Paul

10. scout

scout TS Member

XT Comb aftermarket

Check out Grag Hissem's website under "Browning and Beretta Comb Conversions". He has a couple of options - a reasonalby priced replacement hardware (good pictures) as well as plugging and filling and coming back with his good hardware like Ruck was stating he also does.

No point in putting up with the Browning hardware collapsing on you - get a good stock man to replace it with something that will last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.