1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT & BT-99 versus XT Combo ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Not an offer to buy nor to sell.

See where a NIB Browning Citori XT and a NIB Browning BT-99 together sell for $700 less than one NIB Citori XT Combo (over/under and unsingle barrel).

Which would be better for a local range trap shooter (not a Grand American competitor) ?

2. lboh

lboh Member

May I ask why you think 2 guns are needed based on your shooting environment?

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Don't know that two guns are needed.

Are you considering the XT & BT-99 as the only two gun set ?

Or are you considering the XT Combo also to be a two gun set ?

4. lboh

lboh Member

Was thinking about the XT o/u you mentioned

5. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

My 2cents
    I would opt for the combo because the o/u and unsingle would feel similar, possibly shoot similar and you would only need to fit one gun to you because you would be using the same receiver and stock for each barrel. I think that there would be more continuity switching from o/u to single.

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

After owning an XT O/U, I bought the XT combo (unsingle, not top single) and I like the combo a lot. The weight of the gun and its swing are very, very similar to a Kolar, and the unsingle's barrel has one of the best rib adjustment mechanisms I have ever encountered. The trigger has a lot of take-up to it, but that was pretty easy to get used to.

BTW, if you have an XT O/U it is very difficult to find an unsingle barrel to fit it. Neither the factory nor Guns Unlimited will sell the unsingle barrel separately.

Ted K.

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

What are you shooting now? Many very good shooters are our club shoot an XT for everything. There, I saved you even more money for shells and lessons. Mark

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I am averaging introducing one or two folks per month to the local trap range.

I usually loan them a Browning BT-99 for as long as they want to shoot it but I only supply the ammo and practice tickets for the first couple of trips to the range.

On a few occasions I have had five new shooters with me at one time and loaned some Citori XTs.

After a few weeks or months, these beginning shooters ask me what they should buy for themselves and there has got to be better answers than I have given so far.

The local gun stores will sell them a Benelli semiauto to shoot everything, which is a good gun but not really trap specific.

I came across the price of these Browning Citori XT Combos and compared it to the combined price of the regular XT & a BT-99.

It again got me to thinking about what I would recommend to new shooters.

So I have passed along the question to gain the wisdom of the collective body.

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I stand by my advice. All they need is an XT, which is substantial investment in itself for a new shooter, unless you are running in a richer crowd than I am. Mark

10. bjc682

bjc682 Member

A couple of things need to be asked of the individual shooters.

#1 Cost. What can they afford and how much are they going to shoot.

#2 Doubles. Are they going to shoot doubles at first or not at all.

Used BT 99's can be picked up relativly cheaply and are great starter guns. New shooters starting out can be intimidated by doubles and don't really need an extra barrel to start out. Learn the basics. Bying a combo to me, would be down the road a bit and an individuals decision after shooting a while.

Some O/U's might be a hand full for some shooters. Make it as easy as possible in the begining, and hopefully they will enjoy the sport and stick around.

Bart

11. Racerx

Racerx Member

It sounds like your set on a break open guns but have you ever thought about a auto?? 1100 or 390 ?? You can shoot 16/27 doubles .. skeet..ect the price is right for a auto but it is nice on saftey with a break open gun also!!

12. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

While I own pumps and semi-autos, for the target range I want only break-open guns. Just a little simpler for novices to handle and to be sure they're safe.

Others likely feel different.

13. butcher

butcher Member

Buy the XT and the BT99. You have the same gun as the XT combo but also a back up gun if the combo receiver breaks down. Frank Little recommended this and I think it is the way to go.

14. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

combo period. You just might become a Grand American competitor.

15. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

With regards to the recommendation concerning used Browning BT-99s...

Would you specifically recommend the older BT-99 with fixed chokes so as to eliminate one more thing to confuse new shooters ?

16. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

BT-99 and the XT shoot completely differently in opinion, first most BT99's have flatter ribs than the XT also the feel/fit is generally different. While I haven't owned a XT combo, I have had a XT and many BT99's All in all the only once that shot close to the XT was the BT-99+. If I would buy one gun for a beginning it would be either a new XT or if I didn't have that kind of money, I would go for a used Citori Trap O/U. Most can be found for around $1400 or less. I have a Citori Trap Combo (32" O/U and 34" top Single) that I am going to think about selling.

17. Fiercepearce17

Fiercepearce17 TS Member

I actually use both a Bt-99 and an XT when I shoot. I use the Bt-99 for singles and the XT for handicap and doubles. I won the VA state singles Championship this year with the Bt-99 and the AIM National Championship with the Bt-99 and placed at the Grand in Handicap with the XT. I like the lightness of the BT-99 in singles while in handicap I like the heavier XT. Also, I have a newer BT-99 with interchangeable chokes but I only shoot full choke in both singles and handicap (I like the way both guns pattern with full and its one less thing I have to think about). Honestly, its just personal preference in my opinion, I bought the BT-99 first about 4 years ago then last year bought the XT because I wanted to shoot doubles. (And as mention in an earlier post, if one of them breaks on the line, which has happened to me, you have a spare gun to switch to)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.