1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT 30 or 32"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coyote268, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

XT 30 or 32

After a 40 year layoff, I started shooting trap about a year ago. My first gun was and still is a BT99. Done a fifty with it and one short of a seventy five. Great singles gun. Thinking of doubles, I bought a 1100 Competition and love the soft recoil but I can't run a straight with it. It handles quite differently than the 99 as to balance and swing etc. I do well with it at the 21 though which is really messing with my pea brain. I really havn't given it a fair chanch yet but its hard to put down my 99 when I am shooting it pretty well. I'm considering trying to pick up a XT with an adjustable comb for a backup and maybe my primary gun for doubles if I can't tame the 1100. My question is what length barrel would I be better going with on doubles. Thirty or thirty two. I know this is a dumb question as most people will tell me to stay with the 1100 until I master it but at 71 I don't know if I have that much time to do it. Anuway, any advice would be appreciated.
    Dan

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

XT 30 or 32

I have the 30" XT - it's the 'bomb' for doubles. Not at all whippy like I thought it might be for singles or 'caps either. I love it - for me, it's a great all-around shotgun, which is what I wanted. JMHO.

3. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

XT 30 or 32

The XT feels and handles very different from the BT99. I have shot trap singles with both. I love the XT and will not go back to the 99. My XT has 30 inch barrels the 99 has 34. I like how fast I can move the XT onto target over the 99 and I like the shorter sighting plain on the XT. The only thing negative with the XT is that the O/U barrels act like sails, even with a mild cross wind, I find myself struggling to keep the gun from moving sideways when I'm calling for the bird.

Hawk,

4. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

XT 30 or 32

I have the 32" XT, but I know that a 30" barrel works well for doubles. Most people who are not familiar with this gun prefer the shorter 30" barrel on initial impression. I've had mine long enough so I've gotten used to it and prefer the longer, slightly heavier barrel, since I think I have a smoother swing with it, and (IMHO) a longer sight radius give a truer point to the target. But as is usually the case, you really need to shoot both and determine for yourself which works best for your purpose. - JoeBerg

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

XT 30 or 32

Hopefully, you can try both before making a decision. Actually, my 32' XT swings great and balances better than I hoped. I am 6'3' and 67 yrs. old and do not find the 32" to be a problem. I use a modified choke in the top barrel with 1 oz. loads for 16s and either an ImpMod or Full choke in the bottom barrel with 1 1/8 loads for handicap. One gun does it all for all 3 events. Your comments and those from Hawk57 are convincing about staying with the XT vs. a single barrel. Bottom line: try both a 30" & 32" - you can't go wrong with the XT. Best Regards, Ed

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

XT 30 or 32

Go with the 32". If for any other reason the 32" seems to be a more popular size, therefor a chance of a better resale.

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

XT 30 or 32

If your 99 has a 34 I'd go with the 32 on the XT. Had an XT with a 30 and a BT 99 with a 34 and wished I'd gotten the 32. Have neither now but have a 682 combo and wish again my double barrels were 32 instead of 30's.

8. JJM64

JJM64 TS Member

XT 30 or 32

I have had the same question about an O/U for doubles: 30" or 32"? I currently shoot an 1100 Classic Trap for doubles, but would like to get a Browning XT Trap.

I had an opportunity to test fire a 32" XT last weekend at some singles targets. It handled very well, hit very well, and came closer to fitting me than most other target shotguns do out of the box. I rarely shoot anything but doubles, so I've wondered about which barrel length if I get an XT. At first I thought 30", but I'll probably go with 32" if I get one.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

XT 30 or 32

There is really no answer to your question that I can give.

I am sure there are many shooters at your local club who are shooting both 30" and 32" O/U's and possibly some even shooting the XT your thinking about. Have you checked around the local club and asked if you can touchy feely various shotguns? Mention to the other shooters your thinking about a new O/U and dont know if you want a 30" or 32", most will let you pick up and mount the gun to let you see how it feels to you. You might also want to try this at your local dealer as well. The only problem with doing it at a local dealer is most likely your inside and mounting a gun and inside can give you a different feeling depending on the showroom your in.

Most friends at the local range will also let you shoot a round with there gun as well thusly giving you a chance to really check out which length you prefer.

To be honest my overall opinion would be 30" but that is me but if a 32" was at a killer proce with adjustable comb and everything I was looking for I would not pass up a 32: either.

Like I said ... there is really no answer to your question that I can give.

Ya know this brings up another great thought as well ... guns are far better then a woman. A gun never gets mad when you mount another gun and a gun never complains when you mount it for the even the 100th time in a single day. Now ask yourself what woman out there would let you mount just 1 time out in public in front of all your friends without complaining? Guns also never get jealous when you buy another gun either so I guess to answer your original question ... why not just get both the 30" and the 32"?

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

XT 30 or 32

barrel length doesn't really matter. it't the way the gun moves and balances,and as for sighting plane goes forget it, for you had better be looking at the target instead of the barrel.

11. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

XT 30 or 32

Thanks everybody. That's why I like this site. Your get a great variety of answers to your question and now I just have to filter them out and decide which is the best advice for me. Two of the most important are proper gun fit and then try them both out. In the mean time, I'm going to try and tame my 1100 and get to shooting it better.
    Thanks again Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.