1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

XS hard to break open after firing top barrel..?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Active Member

I have a near new 28 gauge XS Skeet.

I noticed today after alternating to the top barrel (trying not to just shoot the bottom all the time), that it was considerably harder to break open the gun to reload after firing just the top barrel than it was to open the gun after firing just the bottom barrel(firing singles).

Kinda like opening a new tight gun...works fine but tires you out. On the other hand and the gun opens smooth a silk after firing just the bottom barrell.

Anyone have this happen before...as mentioned it's a like new gun...bought 3/4 months ago. (28 gauge XS Skeet). It's really a distraction after a while...and hard on the wrist and thumb after straining after every shot..

Anyone...

Thanks...Stan
  2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Sounds like a stickie firing pin Stan?

Hap
  3. hmb

hmb Active Member

When you shoot just the bottom barrel and then open the gun the top barrel hammer is already cocked. It would probably help if you lubed that hammer and spring. HMB
  4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

The difference in the path of the recoil sets the locking lug deeper into the barrel notch when the top barrel is fired. The top lever acts like it's stuck and then suddenly releases.

Keller
  5. StansCustoms

I dunno guys..

I keep it very clean...greased and spray lubed on/in the proper places.

I guess I could take the stock off and see if its crudded up there? Just doesn't seem possible since it's so new....but I have shot at least 3 or 4 thousand shells thru it.
  6. StansCustoms

Keller ..
    What's the fix for that if it is the case? Have a gunsmith relieve the locking lug a little...or?

Hap and HMB..
    I pulled the stock off..everything looked as new. But I went ahead and flushed the receiver thoroughly and blew it out with compressed air...relubed it thoroughly with REM oil and put a little grease on the main contact points and a dab on the springs like it had when I broke it down. Making sure that there was no excess oil to drain down on the wood after reassembly.

It feels smooth ...but that's just using snap caps to fire it. If what Keller has suggested is the case then it has to be fired with a live shell to set the lug deeper...

Guess it will be a few days before I get to shoot it ..family reunion this weekend, with no time to go to the range.

Stan...
  7. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

I have a pair of XT's. Same symptom. Shooting singles/handicap from lower barrel, opens easily. Shoot doubles and it seems to stiffen up very much. Same with either gun.

Charlie
  8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

<blockquote><I>"Keller .. What's the fix for that if it is the case? Have a gunsmith relieve the locking lug a little...or?"</I></blockquote>Honestly, I dunno. My XT does exactly the same thing on those rare occasions when I have to use the top barrel...a FTF on a deep primer in the bottom barrel or when I get talked into doubles. I've never been concerned about it because I know it's not a firing pin or lube/maintenance issue.

Keller
  9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Try using CMD grease, it really freed up my guns, lube the hinge pin, forearm lug, where it contacts the hinge pin and especially where the forearm outside edges so they do not GAUL the reciever,with Bbl off lube the complete front w/CMD Grease, or a grease w/lithium or graghite in it, or the heavy wheel bearing grease, made mine open very easily, have been doing this for years.

If the front of the reciever and forearm contact area is alreay gaulded/scored metal it will need to be polished/crocous cloth.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

Don't grease the locking lug.

Keller
  11. StansCustoms

I have three Browning O/U's ...a XT 12 gauge, the XS 28 gauge we're talking about and my older Citori Skeet from years back. (...and a BT 99, which opens just fine ..LOL). The other guns don't seem to be a problem...maybe I should I shoud get them out and see if I just haven't noticed it in the past??

However...This 28 gauge "has" to have something done to it...or I'll shuck it. It is really a distraction to wrestle this thing open...and we all know we have enough distractions without a continuing occurance such as this.

I would like to shoot be able to alternate the barrells to keey the wear and tear distributed between the two.

Keller...

Don't grease the locking lug? Why not? I thought a little grease never hurt anything...?

Thanks...Stan..
  12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

Too much lube and the recoil can cause the locking lug to bounce out of and back in to the barrel notch, temporarily unlocking the barrel to some degree. Have actually seen it happen to Brownings on very slow motion films of a shooter's form. The top lever can be seen to jump a bit right and then back to the left as the gun fires. Some friction is needed here; light oil is enough.

Keller
  13. StansCustoms

I sure didn't know that...not that I lube excessively...but I am thorough.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.