1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

xs feather shotguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I have a couple of questions reguarding these guns
    !. are these skeet guns...I'm thinking of buying on in 28 gauge
    2. someone told me the reciever is made of a light weight allow, my question is will this gun last as long as a model made with a steel reciever.
    3. I seen one at my gun club that a person was shooting..in .410 and it looked to be of quality make, and the price seemed alright for what he paid.

any help would be great.

jeff

2. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I have the Feather XS Sporting Clays model in 410. They were offered in several configurations, mostly in field models, but also in the XS sporting clay models in both 410 and 28 gauge (perhaps even more styles that I am not aware of).

The Feather models do have an alloy receiver with a steel insert that is dovetailed into the breech face and a steel hinge pin. The XS sporting clay guns look identical to the steel receiver guns as the steel XS guns had the nitride finished receivers. By opening the gun and taking a look, it is easy to see the steel insert in the breech face.

Before I bought mine (several years ago) I did a lot of posting questions on shooting web sites looking for shooters who had put a lot of shells though these models, but never found out too much. Most of these guns are in the field model and do not get huge number of shells through them. In all my searching, I only found one person who had any trouble with the receiver, and that was a fellow from Texas who had the steel insert become loose soon after buying the gun ---- he sent it to Browning (fixed it for free) and got it back relatively quickly and was happy with the gun ever since.

As far as I know, they were only offered in 410 and 28 gauge for the XS target models as the recoil would be an issue with the 20's and 12's when shot a lot. The 12's and 20's were offered only in field guns (I think). Mine is a 410 so recoil is not an issue. The main reason I wanted this particular gun was that it has an absolutely fantastic piece of wood on it.

I have not shot it enough to say anything about really long term wear but have never had any trouble.

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

The Feather XS was offered in all four gauges, 12, 20, 28 and 410; and was manufactured from 2000-2002. All of the Feather XS's were considered Sporting guns. I have put thousands of rounds through a Feather XS Sporting 20 gauge without an issue. I also shoot with an 87 year old gentleman that must shoot a Feather XS Sporting 28 gauge due to weak arm strength. He has put many thousands of rounds through his gun without any issues also. As Gregg stated, these guns featured alloy receivers with hardened steel inserts in the face of the receiver. After thousands of rounds through the 20 gauge I shot, there was no primer indentation on the receiver face. These guns typically shoot flat patterns, which should work well for skeet shooting. Hope this helps. Garrett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

steel insert has slipped out of the breech face