1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XLR5 COMMENTS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jamie65, Aug 24, 2013.

1. jamie65

jamie65 Member

I would like to hear some comments from shooters that have been using the XLR5 for trap / thanks

2. lancelot

lancelot Member

It has the lowest recoil of any unmodified, shotgun I have ever shot. I can use the #5 choke tube for anything short of 24 yards. It is built like a tank. The rib and comb truly let you set almost any point of impact you wish. The US FABARMS people are very friendly and easy to work with. I think it is the best semi-automatic I have ever used for trap (25+ years)

The pistol grip and trigger are still too far apart, but are manageable for me. The gun comes apart fairly, easily for cleaning. I could use it for my only trap gun.

Ron Ireland

3. Slugo

Slugo Member

I think it makes a pretty good trap gun. Large size, very well built, adjustable comb and rib. What's not to like!?!

4. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I put adjustable butt plate on mine,lightened the forend nutt and put about 5,000 round thrru one. I did not like it...always felt "bulky" for lack of a better word. Pistol grip was bad design.Difficult to get a good release trigger made for it... Hated to clean it. Interesting experiment but it did not work for me...Sold it and was glad to be rid of it...Smokit

5. Two Coat

Two Coat TS Member

Had mine since last Nov. and put a few cases through it, just change chokes and adjust the rib and it pounds 'em if I do my part. Among the reviews on line they call it "the beast" and in some ways it is. I thought of selling mine several times, shoot a Citori Plus combo I bought from CalvinMD, and yet find I go back and play with it again and again. I added a Jones pad adjuster and a Kick Eze pad, a Rat grip and it still feels like a beast, but it does't spew empties and the recoil is really soft. It may become one of those guns you just keep messin with tryin' to make into something it may never be, but I kinda like it.
    There have been more than a few on here sing it's praises only to give up on it, but almost every owner will say it's a target crusher but they just can't seem to make it "feel" right. I'll keep mine a while longer.

6. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

I agree with Smokit, No fun to clean the XLR and I could never get the POI I wanted, so after around 300 plus rds. the XLR was history...Ron

7. jamie65

jamie65 Member

thanks for the comments guys.

8. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Sold my left hand last week. I also had issues with my medium sized hands even with the gen 3 stock. I finally got the FTF problem licked which was light primer hits which is common among them. Many say you can run them dry and do not need to clean them often. I found none of that to be true. I did think the gun easy to disassemble. No doubt many would like the gun. I just never clicked with it. My personal opinion is that a 391 is a far superior auto.

9. jamie65

jamie65 Member

thanks chris