1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XF Chokes .040 - When is it too much ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gamba Man, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

Just purchased a Briley Spectrum XF choke for my Beretta (0.724 Bore). I know the average XF choke should be approx 0.040, the choke I received measures 0.043 which is more/less on target for a XF choke.

Now, I haven't had the opportunity to put this choke on paper, and I do understand that every gun patterns differently,.....BUT,...I just wanted to know how tight could one go before a pattern becomes blown from excessive choke ?

Cesare

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have some old fixed choke Remington barrels that are stamped Full and mic at .040, and they are smoke poles. I don't need anything more than that from any distance that I shoot games from. .043 isn't out of line for a tight choke, but I wouldn't go any tighter unless you are turkey hunting. Mark

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Was talking with a dealer about a used Perazzi which has a factory fixed 0.040" choke on the bottom and a 0.050" choke on the top.

4. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

I think you really need to pattern it, particularly with different sizes of shot. It may pattern differently with different shot sizes. Also, just to confirm your constriction, do you mean that the choke measures .681 resulting in a constriction of .043? (.724-.681=.043) Bob

5. MTLongshot

MTLongshot Member

I have Berettas 4 yrs. Have. 005 thru xx or .055. 40 is the most that shoots good patterns with
    1 1/4oz.with 1 1/8 xx is fine. However in ata setting. 025 will reach any birthday

6. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

Yes Bob, measures exactly like that.

Cesare

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

My Zoli unsingle barrel measures 0.042 inch constriction (0.728 bore to 0.686 at muzzle.)

It works fine.

8. darr

darr Well-Known Member

To answer the ? it is to much when it doesn't pattern the way you would like it to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.