1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

X-RAY Room Lead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by H82MIS, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Just regular sheet lead,,not very hard,, add some WW (10%) to it and shoot it,,,

2. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

It is pure lead. What I do is have 75% wheel weights and 25% pure lead and melt it all down. That has worked well with me.

3. mike T

mike T Member

I am the supevisor ao an Diagnostic Imaging dept. I have been involved with the planning of 2 complete x-ray departments. The lead is just plain soft lead.
    Get all you can. You might get it free for tearing it out. The only problem I see is when you melt it you may have a lot of junk on the top from the plasterboard and paper glued to it.
    Good luck
    mike t

4. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Be sure and remove the X-ray's though they can cause all kind of problems with your barrel. ;) BRGII

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

so john your saying when you buy hard shot your buying 90% antimony?????? I think not,,,jim

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If there was any X-rays left in there you could ask them to check your barrel for cracks as they pass through.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How much antimony is in wheel weights and how much lead is in wheel weights? HMB

8. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Going by memory, which isn't always the most accurate, the antimony in commercial shot is less than 10%. Somewhere around 5% give or take, is what I remember.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

In general, wheel weights are harder than magnum shot. OF course, not all wheel weights are the same. Mixing pure lead (soft) with something like 20% soft lead should produce a good mixture. A mixture of 10% soft lead + wheel weights is also good. Because the hardness of the wheel weights is unknown, conservative judgment is the best guide.

Pat Ireland

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

This information was taken from a Lyman reloading manual. Wheelweights are 95.5 lead, .5 tin, and 4% antimony. The hardness is 9 BNH. Pure lead is 5 BNH Taracorp magnum shot is 92 lead, 2 tin, and 6% antimony with a hardness of 15 BNH. Linotype has 12% antimony. Our magnum shot that we shoot is much harder then wheelweight alloy, but wheelweight cast bullets can be heat treated to exceed the hardness of magnum shot the way we buy it.

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ive got a shooter at my club that has lineatype for sale a dollar a pound I believe.

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

pure lead is still harder than the target. I have run a 50-50 mix WW to lead If you keep it hot does ok but will run about one size larger shot.Adding pure antimony works If you use an alloy flux to start with. It will not blend with beewax rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is x ray room lead

xray room lead for casting