1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

x in email address

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dbcook, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

why do people put an x or 3 in there email address on this site. then tell people to drop the x when emailing them. seems kinda goofy to me. dwain

2. C H S

C H S TS Member

Discussion boards like this are a great place for spammers to collect email addresses. They use crawlers and bots to look for anything that resembles an email address. They also have character recognition software that zeros in on the " @ " symbol in the email address.

It used to be that you could munge an email address by adding a series of unnecessary characters with instructions to remove them to use the address but spammers can now harvest the address anyway and simply remove duplicate characters to get to the good stuff. In other words, it aint as effective as it used to be.

The best way to munge an address now is to spell it all out in text like "email at trapboard dot com".

Andy

3. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I once posted my em ail here without the x´s and now I get so much friggin spam mail that I may just have to get rid of my current email address, I was goofy for not believing the x´s were necessary.

Berettaman7

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

anybody who doesn't think that spammers haven't figured out the xx gambit isn't playing with a full deck. Ditto for using "at" instead of "@" or dot. The Xs and others might make people feel good, but they don't fool anybody but rookie spammers.

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

How about this: I can be reached at comcast.net. The stuff before the at symbol is my full name with no spaces and no caps.

6. C H S

C H S TS Member

"How about this: I can be reached at comcast.net. The stuff before the at symbol is my full name with no spaces and no caps."

Hey, that oughta work! But it will only work for guys that have simple email addresses or for guys writing to people who are sharp enough to figure out what it means!

My method now is to use a disposable email address any time I have to publish an email address. If you use the Firefox browser, install the "trashmail" add-on. Lets you create a new disposable address for each use. Very simple! Lets you decide how long you want it to last and how many uses you want it to have, Sends you an email for each one with a link that lets you either change lifespan or uses or delete it completely. Lets you know when address has expired. Create a throwaway Gmail address to refer it to and you will be about as safe as you can get.

There are other disposable address sites if you don't use Firefox.

Andy

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

For the guys that get the spam. Isn't there something on your programs that when reading the mail let you send in a spam report? I know in all of my mail accounts I can spam articles back and never get another from that person. Dan

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Well as most on here knows I just put mine as it is and I don't seem to get very much junk email's if I get something I don't want then I block it also can bounce it back to them of course they can use a different email address but if I still get the same stuff then I use the filters in my email program to delete what ever the subject line is.

It seems that everytime anyone on here try to use a masked email when they have something to sell then there is always people that can't dechiper the code to make the email work.

I guess if I was going to mask mine then I would just put it in the text area instead of the clickable area.

Fog

9. TC

TC TS Member

I have had an email address of one kind or another for about 20 years. I have never opened one with any kind of spam. The key is not to open stuff you shouldn't, just delete without reading. I probably get one or two every few days, not a big deal. Tony

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Never open an email with NO SUBJECT either.

My A/V software does a pretty good job of slamming spam into a Spam folder that I simply dump.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.