1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

X full choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by torqueman, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torqueman

torqueman Member

eneny one ever try extra full choke ? I notice they sell them and call them trap chokes? Thanks JOE

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

not necessary

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    They also call them turkey chokes.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Some guns do well with them, some don't. My Sporter gives chippy breaks with the XF, boils them with the IMOD.

The XT is a Martian Death Ray with the same XF choke. I have not shot the XF in my 525 European Bunker gun enough to see what it does. I have gotten some solid 65+ yard breaks with the second barrel, but the jury is still out. All three guns are Browning Invector Plus,with unmolested .740" bores.

Try it in your gun, see if you like the breaks. In a gun that works with it, I consider it a good training aid on the 16, and use it for Caps.

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Brian, most turkey chokes have more constriction than "extra full."

With "over" bored barrels, extra full is generally considered to be 0.040-inch constriction. A turkey choke would be 0.045 inch or greater.

I use an extra full (0.040-inch constriction) choke for singles and handicap and I'm pleased with it.

torqueman, the only way to know for sure is to buy it and use it. If you don't use an extra full, at least use a full.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Overkill...full, light full or imp mod is all you need back to 27. Regards, Ed

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Love the X-full in my XT, same results as Coach. I shoot it almost exclusively from the 16 to the 27 and beyond.

Robert

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

years ago, Remington 870 and 1100 trap guns standard fixed fc, was 0.042 constriction. Most of these barrels hit targets with absolute authority. Today, I use a a Remington trap modified barrel of 0.022 constriction from 16 to 24 yards.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Brian in Oregon

V10, Remington 12ga choke:

Turkey Super Full .062" (.665")

<i>Turkey Extra Full .040" (.687")</i>

Full (lead or steel) .036" (.691")

Trap Extra Full .036" (.709")

Sporting Clays SC5 (Full) .036" (.691")

Sources: Jerry Kuhnhausen, author "The Remington M870 and M1100/M11-87 Shotguns - A Shop Manual" and the Remington website.

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Well, Brian, Remington may consider 0.040 to be "Turkey Extra Full," but most other manufacturers don't.

Back in the days before "over" boring, 0.040 was considered to be "full" choke.

Krieghoff calls their 0.040 just plain "extra full." And that's what I use.

11. Brian in Oregon

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Mine is a fixed choke and measures 0.042" constriction.

Seems to work fine.

Your mileage may vary.

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of "tight chokes" I use in my XTs: one with a .065" constriction (.675" bore) and the other with a .070" neck (.670" bore). The .065" does a fine job on 24 yard targets with a ±1250 fps 1 oz load of #8... the .070" seems a tad tight for those small pellets.

MK

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think I read a post once by Dr. Andrew wherein he said from about 0.030" to 0.050" choke, using target loads, there wasn't much difference in patterns. I think Neil Winston did some testing that corroborated this.

Of course, this was with trap loads.

Turkey loads are buffered, and I suspect that's why the pattern stays so tight with the very tight chokes.

15. torqueman

torqueman Member

I shoot am xt sounds like a extra full chokes is worth a try,nothing more I like is seeing smoke! Thanks JOE

16. Brian in Oregon

Tim99, it's not just the buffering, but the quality of the shot and plating. While testing turkey loads, I found that some premium loads with plating did not have hard enough shot. This caused the shot to deform in a .655" choke. Many of the recovered shot were squeezed partially into cubes, and a few were fully cubed. This caused the pattern to open just enough that this caused a ten yard difference in usable pattern with rival brands that had harder plated shot, and even a brand that had very hard shot but no plating.

More to the point for trap... I found that patterns were not the best with cheap soft shot in a standard Remington barrel with mod or full chokes as compared to premium hard shot. I know I'm stating the obvious for most people here. Premium shot means better patterns. But, I noticed that from my factory backbored barrel that the same degree of choking (mod or full) gave decent patterns with cheap soft shot promo loads that approached the premium shot in the standard barrel. This is because the shot is not being squeezed as tightly in the backbored barrel even though the degree of choking is the same. It boils down to less distortion of the pellets.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Absolutely Brian. Good, hard shot is part of the key to good patterns, especially at distance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.