1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WZ SHOOT AT SIERRA VISTA IS A GO

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bas, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bas

bas Member

Due to the recent fire activity in the Sierra Vista area, all ranges at Ft. Huachuca have been closed until significant rainfall is received. If there has not been enough rainfall in the area received by Friday, July 8, the Western Zone Shoot at Garden Canyon will have to be cancelled.
    The final determination will be posted on the ASTA website and here on Friday.
    Other Western Zone sites:
    Triple B Clays- El Monte, CA
    Spanish Fork GC, UT
    Coon Creek T&S, Lincoln, CA
    Medford GC, OR
    Anaconda, MT
    Spokane, WA
    also, Alaska, Canada and Hawaii

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hopefully we'll get some much needed rains on the 4th and 5th!! It's in the forecast for our area so I've got my fingers crossed and have an Indian buddy doin a rain dance too!! It would be a shame for our AZ shooters to miss out on this shoot!!

Hap

3. bas

bas Member

The word we received was they would need at least 3-5 days of rain. I, too, hope it will happen.

We all need to be doing the rain dance...the entire state could use the rain.

B

4. white rattler

white rattler Member

Betty, You can come up here if you want rain. In the month of June where I am at we had rain in 27 of the last 30 days. Trevor.

5. bas

bas Member

Hey Trev...can't you just redirect it south? You did it with the smoke awhile back...hi to Ursula!

6. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

It's raining in Sierra Vista right now according to Weather Underground. .16" so far today and rain forecast for every day this week.

Keep doing what you're doing Hap!

Len in PHoenix

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Betty,

Can the shoot be moved to another location or is that against some kind of unwritten rule ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

Bill too hot anywhere else, or in Pleasant Valley case very few hotel rooms. Prescott is still not willing to host registered shoots.

Richard Luckett

9. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I made a trip to SV yesterday and drove Highway 92 from the south. It was sad to see so many homes and businesses lost.

10. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

If the alternatives are A) Not shooting at all, B) changing plans on short notice and traveling to either CA or UT, or C) shooting where it's "hot", I'd much rather shoot where it's hot.

Summertime heat is something that most AZ shooters are used to. I'd be willing to score/fill houses/whatever to fill in gaps in staffing wherever we end up. I'm pretty sure that most of the shooters who would attend remember how to mark a score sheet.

I'm not advocating shooting in high temperatures as an everyday thing....simply saying that I think it would be preferable to not shooting at all. It would have the added bonus of keeping our money in the state and supporting our local clubs.

My two cents....

Len in PHoenix

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

We had a 37 drop toad strangler here in Vail last evening. Every little bit helps, some. There's no way we'll have enough rains between now and the 8th to open up the fort to shooting of any kind. For the most part, alternatives for most AZ shooters is outa luck for a Western Zone shoot!

Len, I'll Len d a hand also! What a shame for the majority of our good AZ shooters to miss this shoot!

Hap

12. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Hap, I agree with your weather forecast. The systems now are dry storms that actually increase the chances of fires. Last evening we had plenty of lightning to the south but nothing but a spit of moisture. I am 35 miles east of the fort.

13. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

I agree that the rains are gonna come a little late, It is a shame that we dont have a back up plan. I'm sure that any of the other clubs would be happy to host the event, Ben Avery could handle the shoot without volunteers to load traps, And yes it is hot but like stated in an earlier post it would keep SOME of the money in Arizona. I would rather shoot in the heat than drive 6 to 12 hours to another state to shoot and spend my money. Hopefully something can be worked out for our ARIZONA shooters.

Mark Williams

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The tempertures right now are above what we who live in Arizona are used to not to mention life threatening in many cases ... I have to believe the State Association and Delegate will come up with a plan or cancel it to keep from putting people at risk ... Shooting in 116/120 degree heat would not be fun for a lot of people, yours truly included ... I have done it and its not fun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

Arizona Shooters,

To all those who post on this web site the answer is YES, alternative locations in Arizona have been discussed by the State Board and the Delegate who is responsible for the final decision of the Western Zone Shoot in Arizona.

As the Arizona delegate I would rather cancel the Arizona Western Zone shoot than be responsible for any shooters health being subjected to temperatures above 105 or more degrees. Our health is much more important than shooting in extreme temperatures. That being said this is what I can tell you at this time.

Tucson Trap and Skeet Club, Ben Avery Clay Target Center and Casa Grande could hold the Western Zone. Extreme heat is common at these clubs, as a result during this time of year these clubs has not been considered for the shoot. As I write this response on Sunday July 3, at 1 PM in the afternoon the temperature in Tucson are 102, Casa Grande, 105 and Phoenix 108 degrees and climbing.

In years past the Zone shoot was held in Prescott where the temperature is general 10 or more degrees cooler than Phoenix, Casa Grande or Tucson. The management of the Prescott Club has decided to not hold ATA registered shoots at this time and for the foreseeable future.

Pleasant Valley Trap Club in Young Arizona has 4-traps, however lodging is very limited and the weekend of the Western Zone is Pleasant Valley Days in Young so it’s out.

Many of you have been shooting the Western Zone for many years, including myself. The last thing I want to see is Arizona shooters NOT be able to shoot the Zone in our State. I personally am not happy that we may not hold a Western Zone in Arizona in 2011, but I’m optimistic that rains will drench Sierra Vista and The Army Post.

The fires that ravaged large portions of our State has taken a toll on our land, and peoples lives, that will last for many years. The Army Post on Fort Huachuca experienced damage from the Monument Fire. The use of the Garden Canyon Trap Club is at the courtesy of the United States Army. Their decision to limit use is at their full discretion.

The Arizona State Trap Shooting Association and I will do all we can to hold the Western Zone in Arizona, however we cannot control the weather and the Army. Please be patient, as soon as we learn of the decision from Rod Ritter and the Army, we will provide additional information.

Thank you for your thoughts and should you need further information, please feel free to call me or send me an email.

Richard Luckett
    Arizona ATA Delegate
    richardluckett@arizonadelegate.com
    520-907-1895

16. bas

bas Member

WPT...I agree! The heat we have been experiencing is very high and I also believe it would be dangerous for many of our shooters to try and shoot in those temps. Especially with 300 targets a day on Thursday and Friday. There is still time for shooters who absolutely don't want to miss the WZ to make plans to attend either Triple B (closest) or Spanish Fork. It is an unfortunate situation and one that is kind of hard to have a backup plan for...especially, when either Sierra Vista or Prescott are the only viable facilities to host the shoot. Prescott has been approached but they aren't interested. And, Pleasant Valley has virtually no hotel rooms. When you put cancelling the shoot in context... it is a very small thing compared to what the people in the Sierra Vista and surrounding areas have endured and have lost.

But, we will wait until Friday for the final word from the "bigs" at Ft. Huachuca. The light may turn green after all.

Stay tuned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.