1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wy antelope help needed

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Nebraskashooter, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

I am wanting to go on a guided antelope hunt in WY hopefully this next year. I have a couple preference points so drawing a tag shouldn't be a problem. My brother and a friend only have one point though so hopefully they can draw a tag too.

What I am having a hard time with is how to find a good guide. If anyone has used a guide they would recommend I would appreciate hearing who it is and anything else you can tell me about them.

Thanks for any help!!

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I've a friend with a ranch outside Evanston - near Sulphur Creek Reservoir. I know there are antelope and deer there (moose can be seen too in the winter). I visited last summer and we saw plenty of deer and antelope.

Massive areas of public land - surrounded by private property so you need access to the private land to get onto the public.

I haven't hunted there yet, but my understanding is that it is pretty good. Open spaces so the shots may be long.

Let me ask him...

3. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Rocky Mt. Gun club has some, but the Gun Club at Laramie has the most. Take your trap gun and do both. The antelope population in Wyoming is high and they are almost everywhere.......many ranchers just want the pesky animals gone......merlyn

BIG ED WOLKEN thanked this.
  4. wyoshooter

wyoshooter Member

there at more antelope in Wyoming than there are people

5. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

IMG_0008.JPG
    Antelope hunting is one of my favorite out of state hunts. Wyoming certainly is the go to state for sheer numbers. Arizona and New Mexico have the best genetics for big horned 'lopes. One of my friends just shot an 89" lope in Arizona.

There is a lot of public land in Wyoming but it is difficult to keep track of where you are and it's easy to stray on to private property. It used to be a lot easier to knock on doors and get to hunt for free or a small trespas fee on private land. I've not had to use a guide for antelope hunting. My hunts so far have all been with a bow. I've always felt rifle hunting would make for a very short hunt.

You could check out some other sites. Eastman'sHunting Journal is a great resource. I think they're subscription price is about $30 a year but I feel is worth it. You could also try Bowsite.com or ArcheryTalk.com. Both have hunting sections. I have killed 'lopes in Colorado, Montana, and South Dakota - all on DIY hunts. Just can't justify paying $1,500 or more for an outfitter/guide. None of those states have the sheer numbers you'll find in Wyoming. You'll need to do some research on which units to apply for. It not quite as simple as applying for a tag and heading over on opening day.

I don't have any preference points for Wyoming but plan to start accumulating starting in 2017. As you mentioned, I think it's necessary to have at least point to have a chance at drawing a tag. Good luck with your search.

6. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

Thanks guys. Was thinking about doing a guided hunt since this would be my first time antelope hunting. Figured it would be worth it to kind of 'learn the ropes' to hunting antelope.

7. twostraight

twostraight Member

Go south off the highway between Ten Sleep and Worland. Plenty of public land and lots of antelope. You can get a map in Worland, Buffalo, or Casper at the BLM office. Ride around until you see some and try to get close enough for a shot. Antelope hunting is lots of fun and if you can kill something at 500 yards, not too hard. If you are limited to 200 yards, you'll have to work a little harder..

8. tcolson

tcolson TS Member

If you are planning on hunting any sort of mixed public and private ground the OnXmaps hunting chips are worth their weight in gold. We hunt area 27 where it is a mix of public and private lands and they will really help keep a guy out of trouble. The newer ones even have the landowner listed on most properties so if you do have permission to hunt from a certain landowner it will help there as well. They are a simple mini-SD card that most automotive or handheld gps' will accept. Last I knew they are only about $100, and I would bet that is less than than the charge for trespassing, not to mention saving the hassle and embarrassment over a simple misreading of maps.

9. Yoda117

Yoda117 Active Member

Just throwing it out there, but if we ever decide to have a group from here do some hunting, feel free to add me to the list. :)

/always happy to go hunting

10. amboy49

One of the ranches in Wyoming that seems to get good reviews is the Spearhead Ranch. I don't see huge buck being killed, but they seem to have a very huntable population. One yr I checked and their hunts were booked which I would consider a good sign.

Check out their website.

Yoda117 thanked this.
  11. Yoda117

Yoda117 Active Member

Amboy49, I have to say that the OYO hunts at Spearhead look mighty tempting.

I think I'll need to learn more about those... but I was thinking more of an actual "get together" kind of hunt.

Good to put faces with names.

12. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Another referral for south of highway 16 between Ten Sleep and Worland. Get you a BLM map and if you have a GPS unit get an Xmaps of Wyoming. It will help keep you on public land. I have made three trips into this area for Mule deer. I have had many opportunities to take an antelope if I would of had a tag or was hunting Antelope. There are a lot of roads in the area an it is not too hard to find a spot to get you a decent antelope. I have seen some pretty nice Antelope in this area. Maybe the reason I have seen so many, is that I have no desire to hunt antelope and have never pursued them. I did four years ago while deer hunting had a really cool experience. I was deer hunting and had just finished hiking up out of a canyon. An antelope buck seen me but did not get a good enough view to be sure I was a human. I sat down in the sage brush with basically just my head up above the sage. The antelope was really curious about me and started slowly coming my way. It got to be kind of a game to me watching him So out of curiosity. I just sat there for the most part, I di move a little but would get back down as soon as I saw the buck again. It took almost an hour, but he walked to within 50 yards of me it was fun just watching him come up on me. If I wanted to get me a antelope, this is the area that I would head to. Part of that is due to being familiar with the area too.

Good luck.

Jim Bradbury

13. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

Thanks guys!!

14. Deadedd

Deadedd Member

Sent a PM.

15. amboy49

Don't see your p.m. Can you text me please - 317 five zero six 8534.

Thanks in advance.

16. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

Look at Mike Niles Outfitting in New Castle, WY.

17. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

Amboy49; he sent me the PM since I am the OP of this thread and was the one asking the question. Not sure why you would think it was to you.

Yukon_870; Thank you! I will check them out.

18. Coyotehunter4

Coyotehunter4 TS Member

I've hunted just south east of New Castle Wy. several times. Always did the DIY hunt and killed a nice one every time. I use to have a ranch I could hunt on for a $100 trespass fee and the price of the tag. Never failed to kill one and usually went to town and bought a doe tag and killed another one. Also shot a lot of praire dogs as well. The rancher passed away a couple of years ago and his widow sold out so I lost that ranch but I bet it wouldn't be hard to find another one. The locals hate Antelope, they eat what little grass there is and starve the cattle. You can get a list of ranchers that will let you hunt off of Woyomings fish and wildlife web site. Good luck, it is a fun and not very difficult hunt.

19. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

Thanks Coyotehunter4!!