Trapshooters Forum banner

WWII Colt Commando Revolver

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  AAAHAWK 
#1 ·
WWII Colt Commando Revolver in 38 Special,4in bbl,has military markings(USAC)and in excellent condition.This firearm was another fine example of a gun that helped support the war effort during WWII.Provided is an archive letter from Colt documenting this specific guns history and the theater of operations the gun was used.$1,550.00

See less See more
#5 ·
As a general rule I think it is rude, and I usually don't, butt in on For Sale listings, but I don't think the USAC engraved on the revolver stands for United States Army Air Corps. The United States Army Air Corps (USAAC) was renamed United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) in June 1941. These guns were first produced in 1942. I ran across one of these at a gun show a while back and did a bit of reading. I have added a link to an interesting article.

Nice interesting old gun, I won't venture a guess as to it value.

Michael

#7 ·
OK. After a bit more Internet research, I am sticking by my earlier post. Some folks on a forum discussing the Commando opined:

"USAC most likely stands for United States Army Corps otherwise known as the Corps of Engineers. Could also stand for United States Army Cadets but I'd guess the former. A quick peek on the internet shows other Colt Commandos with USAC markings. "

OTH, I've also seen references to other WWII items that were stamped USAC and the reference is to the US Air Corps. Also, on a genealogy site for veterans, a long list of abbreviations includes: "USAC = United States Air Corps".

Gene in Illinois

AAHAWK:
When I found the Army Special it did not look this good. It had been a Chicago cop's sidearm. Not fired much but a little holster-worn. I sent it back to Colt and they completely rebuilt and reblued it. The action is very smooth, consistent with how they hand built each one in the early days; almost Python-like action.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.