1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WWII Canadian Fighter Plane - What Is It?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by timb99, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Anybody recognize this? At first I thought it was a Canadian marked P-47, but now that I look closer, I don't think so? Maybe British? But I don't know if they had any radial engine fighter planes.

I saw it this weekend near Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

timb99_2008_030362.jpg

timb99_2008_030363.jpg

timb99_2008_030364.jpg

timb99_2008_030365.jpg

timb99_2008_030366.jpg

timb99_2008_030367.jpg

Also saw a P-51 (named Mustang Sally) and What I think is an Avenger torpedo plane, but I didn't have my camera with me.

NOTHING compares to the sound a P-51 makes on a low pass. Raw power!

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Just didn't look hard enough.

It is a Hawker Sea Fury

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Hawker Tempest

4. WCW4269

WCW4269 Member

I agree with Timb99. It almost looks a little like a Jap Zero.

5. DONNE

DONNE Member

timb99 , you are absolutely right about that P-51. I don't even have to look up to see the plane. The noise gives it away. Same with the unique sound of a radial engine , but I do have to look up to see what that radial is pulling.

6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Hawker

The Sea Fury was (to me) one of the best looking planes to come out of WWII, just like the Bearcat, but both came into service after the war ended.

The Sea Fury was first designed in 1942, but did not see production until 1945.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The link above shows two of the three planes I saw this weekend. COOL!

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Looked abit like a Spitfire until I looked up a Spitfire to cross check. Now that was the airplane of WWII. Even the P-5l needed its engine to become the plane it was. Both of these planes just looked like a plane should. Had a few WWII and WWI planes hanging from my ceiling in dogfights in my early teens.

Looks like you enjoyed the airshow this past weekend. Thanks for the pic's. break em all Jeff

9. Tbonz411

Tbonz411 TS Member

The Sea Fury was designed by Hawker after the British captured a German FW-190, when the pilot landed at an RAF field. The RAF had been so impressed with the new German fighter in combat, they were quick to study their new seizure. The Sea Fury is the fruit of that work. Like mentioned previously, it never saw combat in WW2, which ended before it was brought into service.

10. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

This is a chrysler aircraft engine. Installed in a P47 experimental testbed it flew at 504MPH in level flight. A record at that time. Yes, it was a hemi.

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The most distintive prop sound is a Mitsubisi MU-2 in the smaller 6 place corperate configuration. This ia a prop turbine twin. They are both 1000 HP shaft rated & downrated to 600 HP. If you are on the ground & the MU-2 is at 20,000 feet,you don't even have to look up to know what is overhead. And a take-off is the same. Best place for the P-51's is Oskosh EAA show. You stand 30 feet away as 6,8,10 taxi by. UnHuh!!!! Been there done that. Dumbest thing I ever did was to turn down a chance to fly a P-51 for $125 worth of gas. Stupid me!!!

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, now that you mention it Tbonz411, that Hawker did bear a resemblance to a FW-190 (which, incidentally, was responsible for shooting down my father's B-17, and embedding a lump of 20mm cannon in his buttocks.)

And Rick is right about the Merlin engine. The P-51 was a nice little pony when it had the Allison engine, but it became a thoroughbred racehorse when they put the Merlin in it.

13. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey Rick- Your right. Packard was the only company that had the machining capabilities to make the RR Merlin, and machine the tolerances required. I read not too long ago, that about 54,000 engines were built by Packard. Charlie

14. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

If you are interested in seeing some nice Mustangs go to a web site called "stallion51" out of Kissimmee Florida. Turn up your speakers as your going to get buzzed. I was there in 1999. There was five Mustangs there including my favorite "Tender Slender And Tall". I have a few pictures I took that day. One of these days I will figure out how to post them.

15. Tbonz411

Tbonz411 TS Member

As important as the Merlin engine was to the 'stangs success, there was one other very important design feature. The wing profile added as much to the Mustang's success as did the engine. It was the first aircraft designed utilizing the laminar flow wing (airfoil). Compare the 51's wing profile to other aircraft of the period. It's wing is more narrow at the leading and trailing edge and thickest in the middle section. Other's are thickest at the leading edge (or forward 25%) and tapers towards the trailing edge. A laminar flow wing is more efficient and increased the Mustang's speed and flight range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.