1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WWII 9mm Luger

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by geneleroy, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Would like to know the worth of a German made 9mm Luger with clip in the orginal holister. Has 1937 stamped on it. My older brother brought it back after the war. He said each GI was told they could bring one firearm with them. He picked this from a pile of discarded weaponry. I tried to talk him out of it, no deal!

2. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I am fascinated by Lugers and yes there are many variations. The date alone doesn't tell much.

Look at the top links and barrell and what is stamped on them will help. Also, I think there is a Luger Forum on the web that could help (I don't have the url for the website at the moment).

Allen

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Here is the link for the luger forum: http://www.lugerforum.com/

I should have looked for it before I posted previously. Hope this helps.

Allen

4. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I dabble in them so send me whatever info. you have and I'll do what I can.
    dju

5. MR870

MR870 Member

My uncle picked up a prewar P35 High power Browning from a Nazi Officer.All the other GI's wanted the Lugers.It doesn't have the swastika marks either.I asked a dealer a few years ago I had one with the serial #of xxxx and he offered me $1500 sight unseen.If a dealer throws money like that,it's a sure sign it's got to be worth a whole lot more.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I got a couple of out Canada a couple of years ago. I think I paid about $600 for them and were in fantastic original shape.

They were the ones everyone seemed to want; can't remember the nomenclature, but some here would know the most collectable ones.

Now, they are selling in some of my wholesale flyers from $1500 to over $2500.

I got them for my now-deceased WWII buddy. He's the one whose memoirs I put into put on my website.

WW

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have one that a WWII Vet. brought back from Germany. It has all matching numbers including the grips and magazine and I also have the paper work whereby he was authorized by his commanding officer to ship the gun home. I do know it has a "Mauser" code and it is in excellent shape as well.

I really don't know the value but I am sure it would be worth over $2,000. However, I wouldn't sell it for that!

As I mentioned in my first reply, Lugers fascinate me but they have horrible trigger pulls!!

Allen

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

...and horrible sights, and a horrible grip, and ergonomics, and...well, about everything.

Sigh, silly krauts.

9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I like the S/42s. Back in the 80s I ran newspaper adds to buy WW11 war souvenirs. During a 28 year span of buying and collecting I had over 30 Lugers. Two K dates 5 G dates two banners three black widows to name a few. Still know of a few in the woodwork. I sold or traded them for Nazi daggers.

10. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

About the biggest and easiest thing about the 1937 Lugers are that the early ones were still rust blued and had strawed smaller parts, trigger, safety lever, takedown lever, etc. Then at some magical date or number which escapes me at the moment, they started salt bluing the whole thing, with only a couple of smaller springs being fire blued. The early ones are a bit rarer, but as it has been stated already, condition is everything. Regardless, they were in 1937 just about as good as they were going to get, metallurgy wise, and the mismatched or refinished ones make good shooters.
    dju

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.