1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WW209 vs Cheddite

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I thought we could re-visit the WW209 vs Cheddite's once again due to the price differance. Cheddites are about $50 less per 5k than WW209's, presently.

I just bought a brick of Cheddites and measured them aginist the WW209, with a micrometer. I found the following:

At the closest point to the lip of the primer(outside the radius) each was the same size. But the taper on the WW209 was almost .01 from that closest point to the radius to the end of the primer (the WW209 in addition had a secondary reduction in the diameter 2/3 down the lenght of the primer which resulted in the .01 reduction in size). I reloaded 5 shells 5 times each, with both the WW209 and Cheddite and could find no differance in the seating or the fit in the primer pocket, even with the straight hull Cheddite and the tapered WW209.

I used both WW(3) and Rem STS(2), hulls.

The next issue I will test is the FPS with everything being the same except the primer. Maybe, someone has already done that test, if so, what were your results? I don't want to repeat something that has already been completed.

2. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

I will agree, I have used approx. 20,000 cheddite primers because of price over winchester and have found little to say bad about them. I have had some shooters tell me that they are harder than winchester primers and that will cause some misfires, but I also keep new springs and firing pins in my shotgun. I dont have the trouble that others do with cheddite and will continue to buy them. I will also add that I have had enough duds with winchester primers that I quit buying them and switched to cheddite. I would also like to here others on this forum discuss the speed difference of a load, from cheddite to winchester primers since I dont chronograph all of my loads.....
    good luck.... JasonH

3. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

I have loaded about 15000 cheddites and have no misfires or problems of any kind and will continue to use them-it seems to me that from a practical standpoint win and cheddites are interchangeable-rick zino

4. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

The first Cheddite primers I ever saw I paid $60 for 5,000. I noticed then they were harder to seat in a MEC progressive but once seated worked very well. I have loaded them on and off for about 9 years and just this year at out state shoot did I have a problem: two of them did not shoot in the same round and both were hit very hard, After we finished I cut both shells open to make sure I had not loaded a spent primer. They were both new but just failed to work. But I hAve had almost every kind of primer fail. I like the primers fine but at times I still have trouble seating them in AA hulls. I dont try them anymore in STS hulls. I to have done all the measuring, etc, and have come to the conclusion not all primers........ANYONES primers are not all make to the same specs. I use them because they cost less and choose to put up with the seating problem. My opinion is they are as reliable as any others. I also believe if you stay within the heat range of the mild primers..........Winchester, Remington Cheddites and the others you will not build excessive pressures that can harm your gun or tube set. Just one ole farts opinon who has reloaded since the early 60s

5. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

The first Cheddite primers I ever saw I paid $60 for 5,000. I noticed then they were harder to seat in a MEC progressive but once seated worked very well. I have loaded them on and off for about 9 years and just this year at out state shoot did I have a problem: two of them did not shoot in the same round and both were hit very hard, After we finished I cut both shells open to make sure I had not loaded a spent primer. They were both new but just failed to work. But I hAve had almost every kind of primer fail. I like the primers fine but at times I still have trouble seating them in AA hulls. I dont try them anymore in STS hulls. I to have done all the measuring, etc, and have come to the conclusion not all primers........ANYONES primers are not all make to the same specs. I use them because they cost less and choose to put up with the seating problem. My opinion is they are as reliable as any others. I also believe if you stay within the heat range of the mild primers..........Winchester, Remington Cheddites and the others you will not build excessive pressures that can harm your gun or tube set. Just one ole farts opinon who has reloaded since the early 60s

6. thunder

thunder Active Member

I have used more than 90,000 of them since 2001. I had one misfire, had a batch that my perazzi burned thru the primer, my Kolar has not burned any thru. When I chrono them against Winchester, Remington and Federal I feel they are as consistence as Federal which has always given me the msot consistancey.

Good luck,
    Andy

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Can't beat the Cheddites for the price, if it holds. Some have issues with them. I've used them for years and have nothing bad to say, except that they are "French". There's a ton of data out there for them and if your loads are reasonably low pressure, a careful substitution would not be unreasonable. I had some of the older oversized Cheddites and never had trouble, except when trying to seat them in some hulls. The regular standard 209 sized Cheddites are no trouble in any hulls I use, unless they have had oversized primers seated before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ww209