1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WW II Medal Of Honor

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mtPockets, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtPockets

mtPockets TS Member

A birthday party and BBQ was held in honor of Russell Dunham of rural Jersey County,Illinois at Dan Drainer's gun club by the local trapshooters in the area.Mr. Dunham is 88 years old and was a highly deorated soldier in George Patton's Third Army.Mr. Dunham kindly agreed to bring his display case of combat and service decorations he recieved as a combat rifleman and platoon leader.
    Russell was awarded the Medal Of Honor while in France when he single handedly assaulted three German machine gun nests and their supporting rifle pits. The second highest American medal he recieved was the Distinguished Service Cross which is awarded for Heroism Above and Beyond the Call of Duty but not rising to the level of the Medal of Honor when he climbed the hills off the Anzio beachhead and destroyed an artillery gun emplacement.Mr. Dunham recieved the Silver Star for leading 5 of his menon a sneak attack where they captured the town,60 German soldiers and their tank.He related "we had to find all kinds of white cloth to show surrender so that our own artillery wouldn't come after us when we went back to camp. I was pretty proud of that tank."Mr. Dunham also recieved the Bronze Star with Cluster and V device for valor as well as 3 Purple Hearts. He was awarded the French version of the Medal of Honor called the Croix de Guerre with Palm.Russell fought in North Africa,Sicily,Anzio,Rome,Alasace,France,Germany and Austria--in all,8 campaigns.
    To put this in perspective 16,000,000 men served during the war and only 434 Medals of Honor were awarded,the majority posthumosly.Approximately 1000 Distinguished Service Crosses were earned.Mr.Dunham is unusual in that he was awarded both.
    Mr Dumham's late brother served in his platoon and was awarded every medal as well except the Medal of Honor and was awarded the Purple Heart five times.Russell and his brother served in the Third Division and in the Division history it is written that:
    Patton was ordered to take a town in 24 hours and he was advised by an aide that We took it yesterday. Patton promptly wired back,"I took it testerday". He then asked the aide "How did we get it?" The Aide Responded "The Dunham boys were out raising Hell again."
    Mr. Dunham is sharp as a tack and still pretty spry and is looking forward to putting in his 3/4 acre vegetable garden. Mr. Dunham is a very humurous and personable man and I am bragging on him far more than he ever would himself.
    I am writting this because I thought trapshootersin general would enjoy reading about this remarkable man.Russell has had eye surgery and his shooting days are over but he still enjoys an afternoon visiting with the younger fellows at Danny's gun club if only to watch a Cardinal's baseball game. I consider it a real privilege to get to meet and speak with him.
    If anyone is curious and would like to read Mr. Dunham's Citation just Google his name followed by "Citation". Thanks; Brad, Dan and Rick

2. antique

antique TS Member

What a hero.God bless this Gentleman.Jim Burk

3. snkypete

snkypete Member

Wow! How awesome! Thank you for sharing. We owe so much to men like Mr. Dunham and his brother. It is easy to forget there were men like that who put it all on the line for their country. They certainly have my respect.

Snkypete - Richard L.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

mtpockets above is a web URL to a site that has all of the Medal of Honor winners including Mr.Dunham. Here is a direct URL to his the story as it appears on line just thought you might like to read it

http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/citations_living/ii_a_dunham.html Just cut and paste

Bob Lawless

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Please tell him "Thanks" from me and all of my family, for a job well done.

Hauxfan!

6. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Now THAT'S impressive! My hat goes off to a true hero.

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

SALUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roger

8. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Thanks for sharing the store with me. Love those old heros and enjoy talking with them. BRGII USMC

9. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

God bless them, and all who served, still serve, and will serve.

Tom R.

10. rbdl

rbdl TS Member

Mr. Durham,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Remo

Remo TS Member

Never to late to award...

Salute to Sioux soldier
    By Sarah Krouse, Cox News Service
    Published Tuesday, March 04, 2008
    WASHINGTON — One day, Master Sgt. Woodrow Wilson Keeble had 83 pieces of shrapnel removed from his body. The next, he single-handedly destroyed enemy machine-gun bunkers at Sangsan-ni, Korea.

On Monday, after service in World War II and the Korean War, two lost recommendations from his unit, and an act of Congress, “Woody” Keeble was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his valor, more than 50 years after his service and 26 years after his death.

“Woodrow Wilson Keeble died in graceful anonymity, unknown except to the fortunate souls who loved him and those who learned from him,” President Bush said of the first full-blooded Sioux Indian to receive the Medal of Honor.
    (U.S. Army)
    (U.S. Army)
    RELATED CONTENT
    Grand Forks Herald Web Icon N. Dakotans share moment
    Grand Forks Herald Talk About It Icon Article comments (11)
    “I am pleased that this good and honorable man is finally getting the recognition he deserves. But on behalf of our grateful nation, I deeply regret that this tribute comes decades too late,” Bush said before handing the award to Keeble’s stepson, Russell Hawkins.

Keeble was honored for his heroism on Oct. 20, 1951, when he was serving as sergeant of the support platoon in Company G, 19th Infantry.

During the fall of 1951, Keeble’s company were ordered to conquer a series of hills protecting a Chinese communist supply line. His body covered with wounds from earlier attacks, Keeble took the initiative and killed 16 enemy soldiers while helping his company take one of the hills.

“He grabbed grenades and his weapon and climbed that crucial hill alone. Woody climbed hundreds of yards through dirt and rock, with his wounds aching, bullets flying, and grenades falling all around him,” Bush said.

A soldier who saw Keeble said, “Either he’s the bravest soldier I have ever met, or he’s crazy.”

“Fear did not make a coward out of me,” Keeble once said of his service.

Born in South Dakota, Keeble was a member of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux tribe. He spent most of his life in North Dakota and was a member of the North Dakota National Guard. He was being recruited by the Chicago White Sox in 1942 when he was called to serve in the South Pacific with the North Dakota 164th Infantry Regiment.

“He threw grenades like a baseball,” Bush said.

Hawkins said the application process for Keeble’s Medal of Honor began in 1951 shortly after the incident, but two applications were lost. By the time a third application was filed, his family and unit mates were told they had missed the deadline.

Keeble’s family worked with North and South Dakota congressional members and members of Keeble’s unit to introduce a bill to award Keeble the Medal of Honor. The bill was enacted in December 2007.

Bush acknowledged that some people “suspected racism” was the reason Keeble’s heroism was not recognized sooner.

“Whatever the reason, the first Sioux to ever receive the Medal of Honor died without knowing it was his,” Bush said. “A terrible injustice was done to a good man, to his family and to history. And today we’re going to try to set things right.”

Hawkins said he did not believe his stepfather had been intentionally denied the nation’s highest award for valor in combat because of his Sioux heritage.

Keeble also received the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, the Combat Infantryman Badge and two Purple Hearts.

12. thorman75

thorman75 TS Member

My father died 1 year ago on New Years day. Another tough as nails Southern Illinois soldier who served with the 30th Infantry Division known as "Old Hickory" and known as Eisenhowers "SS". Entered the war at Omaha Beach on "D-Day" and was removed from the FEBA at the Erdennes Forest during the Battle of the Bulge due to wounds. Silver Star,Bronze Star and 3 Purple Hearts.1 of the first allied troops to reach Paris, said the Nazi flags were still hanging from the buildings.Like my own platoon leader said, they truly were the greatest generation.

13. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

mtpockets and Remo - It must be an honor to know such brave and courageous men. Our country and this world will be in dedepteded to them forever. An honor indeed. - Jim

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Remo I have inclosed the direct web URL to MR. Keeble story as It appears on the Web. God bless him and others like the made that made it possible for all of us to talk about what we do on this site and anywhere else.

Bob Lawless

15. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Dick Winters is deserving as well for his work on D-Day.

God bless Russell Dunham and the rest of the boys.

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

They were truly the greatest generation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.