1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTS-Winchester Model 12

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by southjblue, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

How could that be a trap bbl with a simmons rib?Just wondering---SJB---

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

What happened to orig thread???SJB---

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

JCL---Note I said just wondering---Can he prove it was done by Winchester---If not, everyone with a Simmons rib can say it was a Simmons add on requested by Winchester---Would you buy a Mdl 12 with a Simmons rib and believe it was a Winchester add on?---I'd want proof---JMO---SJB---

4. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

0   0   0

George.....Simmons installed, or trained and oversaw, most of the Winchester rib installations from after the "milled rib" up to the "Winchester Special" rib on the 60's vintage guns. All of the 42 ribs were installed by Simmons before the barrels were proofed and returned to New Haven for assembly. After the M12 was discontinued, if you had a gun with a damaged rib and wanted it replaced, Winchester would recommend you send it to Simmons for repair. Unfortunately when you got it back, the replacement was marked Simmons. It's real, but a replacement and not collectable.

Jere

5. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

0   0   0

twostraight.....I'm not surprised. At that point Winchester was trying to build M14's for VietNam and gear up for their "punch-press" line of civilian firearms and we all know how that turned out. There were some amazing M12's sent to the warehouse in 63 & 64 during the cleanup. I guess thats what makes Winchesters so fascinating, they would build anything you wanted and at cleanup time, if it fit, it went out the door.

Jere

6. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

0   0   0

twostraight, was that a three pin rib or a round post or...? Just curious.

Thank you for your time, Rodbuster.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm still wondering---Are you saying that if I have a mdl 12 with a simmons rib that it is then thought to be a Winchester add on rib and that all Simmons were ribbed for Winchester?I don't think a Simmons ribbed gun is thought to be
    anywhere near the value of a Mdl 12 with a Winchester rib---If you can't prove the rib was ordered by Winchester It's worth much less in value---Thats my point---The reason I was wondering is that I have a Mdl 12 with a simmons rib and wish I could sell it for same value of a Winchester rib--I'm not trying to knock that gun---His thread stated it was a trap gun---I questioned how it was with a Simmons rib---If it came from factory with the Simmons rib then so be it.I was asking for proof---I can't prove mine came from factory and was wondering---Still wondering---I think most would agree----George

8. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Keep wondering George! I will come up with plenty if he gets this price! Tom Rhoads

9. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

0   0   0

I have a Remington Model 31 witha nice ribon it, and sure enough it says Simmons. I was told it was similar as the discussion above that Simmons was contracted to make these and install them. The gun hails from 1936 but I have not checked on whether the contract was valid then or not. the gun has an English stock on it now and I just love taking her for a walk and to the club on occassion. she's a beat and shoots well!

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

So far this is the info I received on how a Winchester mdl 12 should look like if the simmons rib was ordered by Winchester---The proof marks should look like the Pic I provided---If the rib was put on as an add on to a field mdl 12 there should be on the thin side of the rib---Simmons by the Simmons co.---Any other info to the contrary is appreciated---George@SJB---
    southjblue_2008_0303319.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.