1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTK MEC Bushing Dimensions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smithy47, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I have several MEC powder bushings that do not weigh what the book says they should. I suspect they have been bored out. I always weigh loads but I woud like to check all my bushings for proper size. Does anyone have the bore diameters for MEC powder bushings? Thanks in advance! Bob

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I use mec bushings in my P-W loader with Solo 1000. When I tested the powder weights on each bushing I have it did not come close to any books I have. BUT if I looked at what the book showed for Solo 1250 those were exactly within reason of what those bushings were dropping using Solo 1000. All my mec bushing I purchased new myself and unaltered.

Best of loading to ya!!
    WesleyB

3. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I tend to use #29 MEC bushing quite often for different recipes I load. A while back I was comparing & weighing the difference in powder drops between different #29 MEC bushings (too much time on my hands). 3-4 of them. They are basically new and unaltered, and do not drop the same. A couple are somewhat close, and I have marked all them with a Sharpie accordingly.

We know that each drop will vary some using the same bushing, but this is a difference in the "average" of the drops from those different #29 bushings. So the "range" for each is not the same. I was surprised at the difference. Weigh often.

4. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've got some MEC data sheets that actually differ (as far as powder weight corresponding to the respective bushing) as I bought my first MEC around 1974 and the sheet differs from recent ones. I believe only using the chart as a reference but as Reagan said "Trust but verify". You need to weigh each powder lot and some people even suggest that you weigh the next container even if from the same lot. Powder variations makes or breaks the shell; i.e., variations can result in lost targets, then trusting your reloads amy be an issue. Sometimes, if you're trying to get within 2/10th's of a grain, you may have to hone out a smaller MEC bushing, then mark it so you know the bushing has been adjusted. Just my opinion. Darrell

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've got some MEC data sheets that actually differ (as far as powder weight corresponding to the respective bushing) as I bought my first MEC around 1974 and the sheet differs from recent ones. I believe only using the chart as a reference but as Reagan said "Trust but verify". You need to weigh each powder lot and some people even suggest that you weigh the next container even if from the same lot. Powder variations makes or breaks the shell; i.e., variations can result in lost targets, then trusting your reloads amy be an issue. Sometimes, if you're trying to get within 2/10th's of a grain, you may have to hone out a smaller MEC bushing, then mark it so you know the bushing has been adjusted. Just my opinion. Darrell

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Sorry for the redundancy. Darrell

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I keep a sheet beside my bench that has all my years of weighing by MEC number and powder according to desired results. When I buy a new or different powder I have a place to start and gets me where I want to end up more quickly when weighing charges.

8. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Thank you all for your responses. A gentleman sent me a list of MEC bushings and the inside diameter in inches for each number. As I suspected, one of the used MEC presses I bought came with a bushing that has been reamed out much larger than it is suppose to be. I took a dremel tool and removed the number. I have been reloading for about 30 years and would NEVER trust a chart and bushing without weighing the powder. The charts are a very good place to START! I have found out that most of the information in Winchester, Alliant, Hodgdon, and MEC reloading manuals are pretty darn close to what the listed MEC bushing will drop. Even so, I would never fire a round that did not have the powder weighed after inital setup. I have also been gunsmithing on the side for quite a few years and can tell you some dandy stories about what over loaded and under loaded rounds can do. Thanks again for your help. I got just what I was needing from you gentlemen on trapshooters.com. Bob Rehmeier (New ATA member as of last week!)

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Bob.. care to share the data???

10. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I would be glad to share the info. I will email WestlyB with the data. Anyone else that wants it, send me an email and I will return your email with the chart. The chart is a MS Excel spreadsheet. Bob R. rehrobert@aol.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bore diameters on mec powder bushing
diameter of mec bushings
how o you hone a mec bushing
how to hone a mec bushing for more powder youtube
id dimention for mec bushings
mec bushing diameters
mec bushing dimensions

mec powder bushing dimensions