1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB- Trap Newbie needs entry level trap gun

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by semperdog, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semperdog

semperdog TS Member

0   0   0

Hello- I'm getting into trap this spring, and am in need of an "entry level" trap gun. I think I'd prefer an older Remington 870 TB, but am open to all realistic possibilities. I dont want to invest more than a few hundred dollars at this point in the game. If you have a closet queen that you are looking to let go for a song to a newbie, please let me know!! Thanks, Roy.

2. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

0   0   0

I shot my friends extra gun for a year because i didnt want a semi-auto i wanted a break-open gun, when the tax return came in i ran and bought an entry level winchester and im glad i waited. when im lazy i just swab the barrels and put it away, still fires next time on the line.
    You need a few more then a few hundred, im thinking $500-600 would be more realistic for an auto loader then $200-300, save your pennys and good luck.

3. semperdog

semperdog TS Member

0   0   0

I figured an autoloader would be more than a few hundred- hence the reason I'm looking for an older 870 TB. I've seen them in excellent shape going for a few hundred on the gun auction sites, I figured somebody here may have one available. Please let me know if you have one!! Thanks.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

0   0   0

semperdog---Do you plan to shoot doubles???? If not, and you like 870s keep your eyes open for an unmolested 870 COMP. very pleasant gun to shoot and some of the best bbls I've seen on any gun. They do show up here on TS once in a while, not cheap, usually $600.00 and up for a good one. Ross Puls

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

Make sure to buy a trap gun/trap stock and get the right sight picture. Many times that cheap, inexpensive field gun does not shoot like a higher comb trap stock and you might be discouraged real fast. Remember that a really "cheap" gun may have no resale value in the end. The 870 is a great gun and if you want a trap stock they are easy to find

6. James344

James344 Active Member

0   0   0

My father-in-law (yes you read that right) bought me a used Beretta TR1 so I could shoot with my son on occasion. It lists for about $350 new but you'll never find a new one today. It's a single shot break-open from the late 60's, but I love it. I don't shoot all that often as my son is the shooter in the family, but the action is tight and it shoots like a charm. Pretty flat pattern and doesn't hardly kick at all. You could look for one of those as a starter.
    Jim

7. semperdog

semperdog TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks a bunch for the insight, I really need it. I have 2 clubs w/i 10 minutes that shoot 5x p/wk. I'll be starting with my Ithaca 37 hunting, but please drop me a line if you have something that fits into what I'm looking for!
    Again, thanks for all the guiidance!! -Roy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

entry level trap gun

tr1 trap gun