1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wtb trap gun for $1000 or less.

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Hi, I'm Matt. I'm new to shooting, i have been using a Beretta 390 sporting that's been loaned to me, but it just isn't working as well as i have shot with other guns. I'm looking to buy an O/U or single top trap shotgun for at most $1000 dollars, preferably around the $600-$750 range. Or if you have any suggestions on models, I greatly appreciate anything and everything offered and suggested.

Thank you, Matt

2. SouthMetro Shooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

And I am located in Minnesota a half hour south of Minneapolis. I would prefer meeting face to face for a gun transaction.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Matt, keep your eyes pealed for a SKB shotgun, or a Winchester Select Energy, both of which should have the Invector Plus chokes, or you may find a older Browning shotgun as well. It should also have invector plus choke tubes. It will be hard to find a good O/U under 1000 dollars out there, but there out there. One of these 3 will work nicely for you, but most of the others just will not hold up and will cost you money, time and aggravation. Good Luck and Break-em all Jeff

4. SouthMetro Shooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Regrettably i found a SKB 85TSS Unsingle 34" inch two months ago for $1100 that i stupidly passed up. Im looking for a gun for next season. Its too late in the year to get one for this season. And i will thank you Jeff.

5. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

A slightly used BT99 is what to look for...your Doubles can come later. Shoot well..Shoot Often, Bart

6. SouthMetro Shooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks Bart. I definately will.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Matt. There was one on the MInneapolis GC F/S board. Is that the one you missed? I may be going there today and I'll check to see what is there. And if you have any gun assessment yo need done, holler.

Jack. From Prescott, WI

8. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Matt,

Welcome to TS.com! You will find a wealth of experience and expertise here.

There are hundreds of terrific used trap guns available and some are very good values. Take your time and shoot as many different guns as you can before you buy. Jack (MIA) is a terrific source for information and guidance. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to assist with your evaluation and selection.

9. SouthMetro Shooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I live in the town over from there. Sadly I never get over there. Awesome club. And I don't even know what I'm lookin for really. I just refuse to shoot a pump, I know that sounds silly but I won't shoot them. But I would appreciate If you were to see what's there.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

Matt:

There are a lot of decent BT99s out there for under $1000 and if you shop carefully you can get a square deal on a solid gun and there are parts everywhere.

But if you can handle a fairly heavy SBT and want one built like a TANK, look for an old Beretta Mark II from the early 1970's (not to be confused with the cheaper "Trap Special"). They came with heavy-walled, 32" and 34" barrels that pattern well and have fixed FULL chokes (which is what you'll likely want for trap anyway). If you keep your eyes open you can find a nice one of these sleepers for $6-800 and, if properly maintained, will still be serving your great-grandchildren well long after you're gone.

It's also cool to have something little different on the gun rack at the club.

-Gary

11. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

0   0   0

BT 99 is the gun to look for.

12. SouthMetro Shooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Yea I personally shoot a Winchester 1400 and I do 25s alot with it. Now this sounds
    silly, why change a good thing you have going. It's got sentimental value and I really don't wanna beat it to heck. So I'm looking to get a trap gun. That's why I posted this whole thing. And thank you everyone. Keep the advice coming please. Thanks Matt

13. Franktri

Franktri Member

0   0   0

Hey Matt! I recently bought a NEW BT-99 for my grandson thru the internet at $1050, give or take a few dollars. Keep this in mind when looking for a used BT-99. A BT-99 is the right way to go. It's a great gun for the money and is hard to beat. Good luck. Search smart!!

14. SouthMetro Shooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I also need advice on how to not offend my mentor. He got me into shootin and loaned me his beretta 390 sporting and offered to give me an extremely good deal on the gun. Him and I have a special relationship and I love his gun but it's a sporting gun and I can't shoot
    trap well with it. He also said he would help me find a gun that suits my purposes. And I guess it's not him I'm worried about telling, he wants me to be the best I can
    be. It's my grandparents and family that are being a pain because they are pushing me to get his gun when they know I can shoot better with a trap gun.

15. SouthMetro Shooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

And I'm looking for advice what to do because they simply aren't getting it. Matt

16. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I have a SKB Combo, 34" 30" with a Nelson addjutable pad and an array of chokes, both barrels are Pigeon ported. Monte Carlo stock, adjustable comb. Shoots perfect. plus extra springs. $1700 + shipping.

blade819

17. SouthMetro Shooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Too rich for my blood. My maximum on a gun until this time next year is about $1000 and I'm not
    particularly comfortable with that much even. $600-$800 would be good on a gun for me. Sorry

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

BT-99, best gun for the money, period!

19. SouthMetro Shooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

What are better? Old style or new? I shoot trap modified or fixed full
    choke so I'm fine with having a fixed choke.

20. mike T

mike T Member

0   0   0

You might want to consider an used 1100 with choke tubes. Parts are avaliable. and if you keep it clean it will work well. If you can find an older one with the step rib barrel you will be set to go to the back fence with it. With it you can shoot all the games. I have one that I bought in the late 70's and it still has the origional "o" ring, But I clean it after every shoot. That said, a used BT-99 as stated above would be fine too.
    mike t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.