1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB- spotting scope for the rifle range.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jetflightexpress, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetflightexpress

jetflightexpress TS Member

Hi:
    I am looking for a spotting scope. I know Swarovski, Zeiss have good lenses. Any other recommendations. Any do's and don'ts?

Thanks in advance. happy shooting to all.

-Chev.

2. tp

tp TS Member

A few years ago three of us, all seasoned benchrest shooters, took several spotting scopes out to the range, set them up in the dark and waited for it to start getting light. We had Zeiss, Swarovski, Kahles, Leupold and Burris products. We did not test the Kowa (popular with highpower shooters) as it was too large to use from the bench (they since have added some compacts that are highly thought of). Our conclusions on that day were that in full sunlight there was no perceivable difference in the Zeiss, Swarovski and Leupold scopes. The Kahles was slightly less clear, the Burris noticably less sharp. Under the Lowest light conditions the Leupold was marginally but definitely sharper than the others.

A lot will depend on what you need the scope for. Using it casually for sighting a rifle in at 100 yards, any of the scopes mentioned will be servicable. Staring thru the scope in a benchrest match for several minutes at a time to cut thru the mirage and see where your bullet hit at 300 yards will require the best optics you can afford.

3. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Kowa. They are incredible!

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Kolar12 beat me to it. I have a Kowa and I'm very happy with it. My scope is a 82mm one of the bigger ones. You can also find them on Ebay. Do get on the net and search as many places as you can for the best prices.

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I just checked on Ebay and there are alot there for you to look over. Type in KOWA SPOTTING SCOPE.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Leupold Over the years, I've had probably five scopes. Sold the ones that were marginal, but kept my new Leupold 50x80. They are amazingly clear.

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Before buying, do give some thought to whether you want a straight eyepiece or a 45-degree one. Consider what you'll use it for. Phil E

8. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

I have an Excsllent KOWA if you're interested.

Hank Cross

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

One of the few things that you can judge on price. With scopes, the more you pay the better they get. The challenge here is how much "quality" can you afford? If money is no object then go for it, but if you need to work within a budget then evaluate your needs verses what you can spend. A hunter scanning vast distances needs the best optics he can afford. Looking at holes in paper at 100 yards does not require much. My opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.