1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB: Soft Comb for k80 # # # # # # # # # # #

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Otter, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otter

Otter TS Member

Help ! Where can I find a rubber "soft comb" for a k80 Trap Special with adj comb. ?

Thanks !

Luxor

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have a complete oil finished K-80 stock adjustable comb with a soft touch comb. This is the european style with the small pistol grip no stock bolt but I do have the spacer washers. The stock is in great shape but the pad is starting to break down and should be replaced $260 total. Before someone asks I do not have a forearm to match sorry.
    --- Chip King ---

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Luxor;

May I ask why you are looking for a soft comb?

Rollin

4. Otter

Otter TS Member

Chip, thanks for the offer but mine is the high rib trap special upgraded wood stock.

Luxor

5. Otter

Otter TS Member

Rollin, I have a rubber comb on my Perazzi MX2000 and really like the feel. Going back to the wood comb on my K80 is not nearly as comfortable to shoot. I have a high sharp cheek bone that rests on the comb. I have a RAD on both so I don't feel much recoil on my shoulder but some on my cheek bonewiththe K80.

Maybe I need to move the front of my comb slightly more away from my cheek than the rear.

Luxor

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Luxor;

Although a number of things can cause punishment to the cheek, inadequate pitch is the most common. That describes a stock with the bottom (toe) of the recoil pad sticking out too far.

To check the correctness of the pitch on your stock, slowly mount your gun with the body posture used when shooting. The top and bottom (heel and toe) of the recoil pad should make simultaneous contact with your shoulder pocket.

If the bottom (toe) makes contact well before the upper heel, the pitch on the stock is inadequate for you and your shooting form. I would suggest you consider correcting it to reduce the barrel-rise that occurs during recoil.
    Correcting/increasing the pitch can be accomplished using tapered spacers or by cutting the stock.

Too much pitch can also cause cheek punishment. The butt can slide upward on the shoulder during recoil bringing the comb right along with it.

Second on the list of causes involves a head turned too far toward the stock or tilted down to allow the cheek to make contact with the comb. Both cause a part of the cheek with an increased number of pain receptors to make contact with the comb. (Possible causes and solutions for this problem are too involved to explain here.)

Moving the front of your comb away from your cheek may help but lowering the front would be preferable. Both would invite gun-mount inconsistencies and neither would address the basic cause of the problem, however.

Rollin

7. Otter

Otter TS Member

Rollin, I had the pitch set at 3 degrees downward to fully contact my shoulder. I think I may be placing my cheek on the comb more downward facing, I'll check that out when my gun gets back. I sent both barrels to Pro Port to be pegeon ported, will have them back on Firday.

Thanks for all the info.

Luxor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.