1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

WTB Smooth Bore 22LR

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by jty, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jty

jty Member

0   0   0

Still looking for a Remington 572SB or a smooth bore 22LR of any make. Please contact me if you have one or know of one.
  2. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I have a Remington 572 but I do not want to part with it. It is a key armament in my fight to eliminate the carpenter bees.

Here are a couple of things that I have learned about it:

The all brass shotshells work the best. The CCI shells with the plastic capsule often do not open up.

You will need to clean the bore regularly. The #12 shot does lead the bore and this affects the pattern. I clean the bore every 25 rounds.

Good luck in your search. I found mine on Gunbroker.

Jim Skeel
  3. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

0   0   0

Jim,
    You have a PM. I can't shoot them here in NJ. I think that they're on the protected species list. I have an old canister type vacuum cleaner that I put a 10' piece of 3/4" plastic water pipe down in the wand. I suck those carpenter bees right out of the air.

Ed Yanchok
  4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I had an idea of a future project somewhere down the line. Take a smoothbore pump 22, rig up a vent rib and a mock cutts (both just for asthetics and a "why not" factor), and have a small scale bumblebee killing machine. My dad shoots them on the porch of the gun club, but a steady diet of shotshells in his Single Six has gummed up the action works and put it out of commission.

I wonder if it would be possible to "routledge" a rifled barrel after the fact. Would probably end up being considerably cheaper than a factory one in the long run.
  5. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Ed, I like your vacuum idea for the bees. I have used my shop vac to suck up the occasional bat that gets into our log home. I have a small hand held vacuum that is quite powerfull. I wonder where I can get some thin-wall plastic tubing?

Jim Skeel
  6. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

0   0   0

You have to sneak up behind them and they'll get sucked right in. Once you get the hang of it you'll become a real "Bee Stalker" but be careful because they are still alive in your vacuum. Remove the wand and spray some bee killer in, while it's running.

Ed Yanchok
  7. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Member

0   0   0

Back in the day you could order a Remington 572 smooth bore or a Winchester model 61 smooth bore with a vent rib. Simmons installed them and they still do. A couple of years ago I talked with the Simmons people at the Tulsa Gun Show. They told me they still had the equipment to do it. Price around $350.00.

I have five 572 smooth bores three of them are Routledge bored still in the box. Not for sale. Although I can find them. Price about 500.00 on up.
  8. KennyRay

KennyRay Member

0   0   0

I like that vacuum idea. I've been smacking them with a small leaf rake but I miss more than I hit. I'd like to try the smoot-bore .22 on them but don't have one. I've heard of people using that small rock candy in a BB gun. I've tried BB's but that's pretty hard and my aim is not so good. I can't get close enough with a tennis racket as some people use.

Ed Y. please email me about your smoothbore.

Gotta go get a piece of 1/2 inch hose and hook up my vaccum. It's "Bee Stalking" time.

Kenny Ray
  9. hmb

hmb Active Member

0   0   0

Get a can of spray adhesive, works great on bugs. No noise, no poison. HMB
  10. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

0   0   0

I guess that Remington made more than one model. The one that I have is a "Field master" 121.

Ed Yanchok
  11. jty

jty Member

0   0   0

if you can find me one that would be great.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.