1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Smith & Wesson model 35 .22lr kit gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AJKohler, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

FWIW, the Kit Gun is a 4" .22 on the J-frame, and it is the Model 34. The Model 35 is a 6" .22 on the J-frame, and it is called the .22/32 Target. There were also an airweight model (43) and a .22 Magnum version (which may have been available with dual cylinders) the Model 51.

My Model 35 is a very sweet shooter (my partner refers to it as 'hers.'), but it does have one problem. It shoots beautifully with standard-speed .22's and is extremely accurate. It will NOT group high-speed .22's; the rifling twist is wrong. Unfortunately, the cheap .22's are always high-speeds.

But it is one of the nicest pistols I've ever owned. And no, you can't buy it from me. :))

Tony

2. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Tony where would my 22 fit into the pecking order? It is a blue steel model 48 with a factory fitted 22lr cylinder. I know who the gun came from, I have the box and accessories and the box is marked special and has the matching s/n. In the Gunlist I saw two that were described exactly as mine, and they went for what I thought was a lot of money for a 22mag/22lr combo. Thanks, in advance Rick Gibbs.

3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Forced me to look in my safe but, alas, I have an 18-3 Combat Masterpiece.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Kit gun also came with a 2" barrel. Cute little gun and accurate, too.

5. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

K1200, the M48 is the K-22 Magnum, which was available with dual cylinders. That's a K frame gun, the 'medium' frame. It's the same frame as the Model 10, the old police standard, the Combat Masterpiece and a bunch of others. The J frame is the same frame as the Chief's Special (M36, among others), and was originally intended for .32 caliber revolvers - hence the nomenclature of '.22/32' on the Kit Guns and Target. This is the same sort of nomenclature they used for the heavy-duty .38's on the large frame, the .38-44's.

The K frame .22's are very nice guns, and with a magnum barrel, your gun should shoot very well indeed with just about any .22 that goes through it (and that includes not just the range of BB caps, CB caps, S, L and LR in the LR cylinder but also .22 WRF in the magnum cylinder). It's a nice piece, and were I in the market for another pistol at the moment, I'd be drooling over one. They are, admittedly, significantly heavier than the small-frame revolvers, but if you want to shoot either magnums or high-speeds out of a six-inch barrel, you don't have a lot of choice.

Tony

6. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Thanks, for the info Tony it is a honey. I bought the combo at an estate sale cheap, and it was unfired new in box. It shoots very nicely. I figured for what I paid for it it was a good prices. And I have seen two sell for a lot of money at sales elsewhere. Rick Gibbs

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Mike, I also have a Model 18 Combat Masterpiece in .22LR. (18-4 actually.) It was my first Christmas present from my wife. I've lost count of how many CASES of .22 I've put through it. It made an excellent companion gun to my Model 19 .357.<br>
    <br>
    My wife has a Model 63, no dash number, with a 4" barrel. She got it the same Christmas.<br>
    <br>
    Also have a .22 Outdoorsman from the 1930's with a 6" barrel and a rare humpback hammer.<br>
    <br>
    Here's something unusual - a K-22 converted to .224 Harvey Kay-Chuk. The firing pin was converted to centerfire, and the cylinders were reamed out for a modified .22 Hornet case. The case is slightly shorter so the bullet will clear the cylinder face, and it's of the "improved" design, meaning the case walls have been blown out straight. It's more accurate than a Model 48 in 22 WMRF and has higher velocity. And it does not have the case sticking and lockup issues of the Model 53 22 Jet. The velocity is close to the Jet. This particular gun was made in the 1950's. It's a 4-screw model, and pre-dates the model numbers.<br>
    <br>
    And speaking of the Model 48 22 WMRF and Model 53 22 Jet, I used to them. One Model 48 and three Model 53's. Wish I had kept one of each, but I never used them much. Two of the Jets locked up all the time. The one that didn't had the face of the recoil shield mirror polished, and it worked OK, though any collector value was ruined. One of the mint Jets had the 22 LR chamber inserts, and it was the most accurate 22 revolver I've ever owned. But it was a pain unloading the empties. I never found a Jet with the auxillary 22 LR cylinder. I would have kept it.<br>
    <br>
    The current .22 revolvers have a heavy underlug barrel, and just don't feel very well balanced to me. I've been hoping S&W would make one identical to the Model 19/Model 53, but alas, they never did.<br>
    <br>
    (If anyone is wondering, yes, I used to collect S&W's.)

8. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I have a model 34-4" mint condition. Not to sure I'd be interested in selling but email me for more info just in case.
    puablo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

224 harvey kay-chuk smith & wesson

kay-chuk firing pin