1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Small chunk of copper

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gordy h, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

I need a flat piece copper to mill a block to use for a backing when I weld a spot on a 1877 Colt, 1/4" thick by 1" long 1/2" wide or anything close. I'll pay for it plus shipping. Thanks, Butch H

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Butch--- can you not use wood? I'm serious. I have made lots of one time jigs from wood. Yes i'm talking for welding and even bending with the torch. Wood is cheap and easy to form for jigs. Sure it will smoke and even maybe flame up but serves the purpose and then you throw it on the burn pile. Just a thought.---Matt

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If someone doesn't have a piece of scrap, check w/ McMaster Carr online, they should have a piece to your specs.

4. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

Butch,

Check your PM.

Thanks,
    Pat

5. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Actually Harbor Freight sells a copper backing paddle pretty cheap.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Since you obviously didn't like my wood suggestion, you can also use copper pipe caps from the hardware store. They come in various diameters and are cheaper than buying a block of copper. I do know what your referring too. I have welded body panels using copper pipe caps as a backer. I've also used wood though but thats me and my projects. Check also the recylcing places. They will sell you a scrap for scrap cost. Vice Grips also make a welding set with copper disc on one side.

7. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

Butch,

I mailed it this afternoon.

Thanks,

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.