1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB small 220 mig welder

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

Before I buy a new one.. I'm looking for a small 220 mig welder with gas for running .025 mig 70S6 wire.. Anybody selling anything like that??? 220volt single phase.. Lincoln.. Miller ???? 160 amp plus.. All Good.. Mike

2. lostandout

lostandout Member

0   0   0

i have one but not for sale if you look into new look at hobart welders as they are made by miller the only diferance is the roller guide on a hobart is plastic and if it ever fails you can buy the miller part that is made from alu.i have had a hobart for over ten years and never had any trouble

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

What is your model number??? Thanks Mike I've been using a 300 Amp Chemtron power source and a wire feeder.. It weld great.. but to big for my small shop.. I don't know much about small mig welders.. All help is appreciated.. Thanks.. Mike

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Mike, sounds like you are looking for a Lincoln SP-180T 208/230 volt AC compact wire welder. I have a Lincoln 100 amp 120 volt mig welder. It has always done a good job. I even used it in a production application for a couple of years when I was building clays carts.

The SP-180T will weld up to 3/16" with MIG. It will do 1/2" plate with the self-shielding innershiels wire.

Jim Skeel

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

0   0   0

Mike I've been using a Miller 251 for quite a while, pretty good welder, but there's alot of them out there and not really sure it's worht the extra bucks just for Miller, but I've got a bunch of Miller stuff and never had a problem, execpt with a loose ground wire one time in a hand held plasma torch

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Hi MIke,

Try Northern Tool - they sell Hobart welders - they make a 120V and a 220V welder - similar, just have different operating voltages.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=mig+welder&Nty=1&D=mig+welder&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

Tractor Supply also sells them

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&pageSize=20&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&error1=&ip_text=mig+welder&ip_textHH=mig+welder&ip_requestUri=CategoryDisplay&ip_categoryId=80212&ip_mode=&ip_perPage=20

But I suspect you will find that Northern Tool has the better price.

What are you welding??

I have found the 140 modle (120V at 140 amps) will handle all but the biggest jobs.

Good luck,

David D

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

Perazzi barrel ears.. I want to get in and out fast.. impart as little heat as I can.. Perazzi and Giacomo both use 115 volt 140 amp tig.. I know with just a little more amps.. the weld would be even better.. and 220 will give a cleaner arc..and probably more stable.. If I use 1 pound a year.. it would be alot.. but when you need it.. you need it..

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

0   0   0

I was going to suggest a tig... I have a miller square wave tig machine.. you can do a lot more "precision" welding with one.. I have welded on a train load of guns over the years and all were with the tig.. you cant beat the penetration and control vs. the wire machine.. good luck!

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

While I understand tig.. I've got 3 hours.. maybe on tig.. and 5,000 hours or more with a mig.. i'm afraid of putting to much heat on the ears.. I'm sure if I were an expert welder with good equipment I could figure it out..but.. If the factory uses a mig.. and Giacomo and Dan use a mig.. then I will use a mig..

10. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

0   0   0

Mike, the Miller 250 sq wave tig is one of the best tig machines on the market,as far as wire machines for what you are doing a 120 volt miller would do the job, how ever a 220 volt 251 miller has a much smoother arc than a 120 volt. If you can find an older Miller Cricket, they were a good machine, all copper windings-very good machine. Here MILLERMATIC 180 AutoSet MIG WELDER # 907312..

11. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

0   0   0

As blkcloud suggest, please try TIG before you leap. The mig will get you by , but the tig is corrct method for a quality weld with absolute controll and the lowest heat. Chromemoley filler rod and you are good to go, a little more skill at first untill you get the hang of it. But you will not damage as much as you will . when trying to learn to mig small gun parts. try to find a square wave 180 to 250 amp.( I dont think they make a 110v tig,but I am not sure). I like my old Lincoln 180 with foot pedal, but a lot of guys have mastered the thumb wheel. The only reason to go mig would be for the road gunsmith that would not have access to 220v service. P.B.B. pm me if I can help with any questions ,such as the effects on temper on high quality metal parts when tig versis mig repaired.

Note; free advice is some times not woth what you payed for it, but mine comes with double your money back warrenty (LOL). KIRK

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

0   0   0

One post says..Perazzi and Giacomo both use 115 volt 140 amp tig

then you say...If the factory uses a mig.. and Giacomo and Dan use a mig.. then I will use a mig..

which is it??lol...

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

It's a brain fart.. They all use a mig... I guess I want to use a tig.. but I'm so much more comfortable with the mig.. I'll be building up a 3/8" square surface about .150 thick.. that's it.. period.. and an occasional drop in the back of a forend lug.. Maybe I need to find a friend with a tig.. and see what I can do with it...before jumping to far.. All Good.. Mike

14. lostandout

lostandout Member

0   0   0

i have a hobart handler 175 i have welded everything from body panels to 1/2 inch i weld with big machines all the time and id take this any day of the week and tractor supply has all the parts and wire for them

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Hey Mike,

I hate to say it, but for what you are considering doing I suspect that TIG will do a better job - easier to control on the small surface and the amount of build you are after, and once you know how to run it, there will be less excess heat.

Thermal Arc (part of Thermaldyne) makes some GREAT TIG units - completely self contained and ready to go from the get go.

David D

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

David..
    I'll look at the line and see what they have..
    really..
    I need to practice on a tig.. and see what
    I can do.. I appreciate the input from everyone.. I'm learning..and appreciate the help.. All Good.. Mike

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Mike, listen to the guys telling you to go with the tig welding. It's a far better weld application for small gun parts than any mig welder with wire feed! Less work to clean up the welded area and a better quality weld for small parts with better heat control.

Someone above said Miller bought out Hobart? When did that happen, I haven't heard of that deal?

Hap

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the info. tinman, I appreciate it. I ran welding crews and jobs in steel mills,power houses, bridges,foundry's and special application shops and used all the brands mentioned and then some. The only welding machines that would hold up in the steel mills and foundry work were the Hobart's. Next in dependability were the Lincolns. Dust from steel making would absolutely stop some of them cold after extended use. Thanks again.

Hap

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm very, very happy with my Millermatic 180 with Auto Set. This is a 220 welder. Specs at the link. I picked mine up for around $800, but that was two or three years ago.

If I had to pick a second place machine, I'd go with the equivalent Hobart.

I don't like Lincoln. Too frail and too much plastic in the drive mechanism.

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

After reading TinMan88's comments I see what has happened to Hobart Handlers.

I have had a Hobart Handler for about 20yrs and it has a 30% duty rating. The last time I looked the new ones were 20%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

millermatic 251 specs