1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB S&W Model 57 41 MAGNUM

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by nitro 100, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I am kicking around the idea of buying a Model 57. If you have one either PM me or email me at the above. Thanks.

Jerry

2. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

0   0   0

I have three of them and sorry I do not wish to sell them. They are great guns and the cal is a good choice. I have the 4", 6", and the 8 3/8th. Hope you find one soon.

3. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Hydra,
    If you were only buying one, which barrel would you buy? I am stuck between the 4" and 6". Thanks.

Jerry

4. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

0   0   0

I love my 6" of all the 44's I have the mod 57 41mag is my goto gun if it is for food or money.

5. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

0   0   0

I just bought a Smith model 357 in 41 Magnum from CDNN for $649 less the $50 rebate. The 357 is a 57 with a titanium cylinder and titanium frame. It weighs about 26 ozs. I bought it to carry while bowhunting out West so I wanted it to be light. I don't plan on shooting it much.

The FFL holder who did the transfer for me has 4 or 5 57s. When He saw my gun, he wanted one too.

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jerry,

I've got a stainless steel Model 657 with 6" barrel and it is like new. I've shot it very little. I put some rubber Pachmyer grips on it, but I still have the original wooden grips. I've also got a leather holster for it.

I have no idea what it's worth today, but if you don't find one soon, I might consider selling mine since I never shoot it anymore. About all I shoot is shotguns these days.

EDITED to correct the model number. It's a stainless steel Model 657.

Easystreet

7. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

0   0   0

I would go for the 6". The reason is for longer shots. Barrel climb will be less also.

8. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

EASYSTREET,
    Contact me at jnnickell1961@yahoo.com and tell me more. Is your gun blue or nickel? Thanks.

Jerry

9. Easystreet

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jerry,

I apologize for my mistake. My gun is the stainless steel 657, not the blue/nickel 57. I seldom even think about my pistols anymore and forgot what the model number was.

If you are interested in a stainless steel 657, let me know and I'll try to find out about what it's worth. I'll sell it reasonably because I just don't use it anymore.

Thanks,

Easystreet

10. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I would look at it. Give me a price and pictures if possible. Thanks.

Jerry

11. Easystreet

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I'll get in touch.

Easystreet

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

I hope you are going to reload for it. The ammo makers have about orphaned it. It is actually better balanced and more efficient than the 44 Mag.

Starline has brass. Accurate #9 powder is going to be hard to beat. The 170 gr Barnes XPB is very flat shooting, and is sufficient for deer sized game and any two legged varmint. It will do all any conventional Magnum handgun can do. Velocities can approach 1600 fps!! A conventional 210 gr bullet will not outperform this most efficient of hunting bullets.

If you are going to shoot factory fodder, get a Smith 629 Power Port in 44 Magnum. Ammo availability and variety is much better from the factory.

13. Easystreet

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jerry,

Pictures and email sent.

Easystreet

14. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

0   0   0

EasyStreet - U got any 1911's U R not using?

Doyal Duncan

15. Easystreet

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Doyal,

I've got a Springfield Armory 1911 but it's being "used" to hold down some magazines on the magazine stand beside my recliner. Just never know when I might get the sudden "urge" to use it. ;-)

Easystreet

16. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Thanks easystreet. I got the pictures and emailed you back.

Jerry

17. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Jerry,
    I have a lot of experience with the Mod. 57, in all three bbl. lengths. For overall enjoyment...I strongly recommend the 6" version. The N frame and grips are of sufficient size, that a couple of inches of bbl...i.e.: going from 4 to 6 makes no difference in portability, but dramatically improves handling characteristics and ability to hold on and hit your target once you get beyond that "up close and personal 7-10yd. range. The 8 3/8's is a fine hunting revolver and would be my recommendation if that's pretty much all you wish to do with it. Good Luck with your choice. Lots of excellent options for the handloader..!!

18. new loader

new loader Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

What is the going rate on a 4" model?

19. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

0   0   0

Easy - Understand - just be careful not to get urges and
    hunches mixed up.

Doyal

20. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

0   0   0

New loader, the price of these guns have increased ALOT! I let one of my model 57's (6") and one of my model 58's go in a trade last year. I got $1650 for the two on another gun. But I don't think I am going to let the other ones go. I did pick up a Ruger New Model Blackhawk 6.5" in 41 magnum the other day for a steal! I was in the right place at the right time! IMHO I don't think there is a better handgun for hunting deer sized critters. Now is I could find one of the Marlins in 41 mag... Your mileage may vary of course. But it is as Shooting Coach said, better be able to reload for it. Rick Gibbs

PS and of course there is the elusive Mdl 58 factory sand-blast nickle!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wtb s&w model 657