1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2 " Barrel

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by shotgunner, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Looking for a 6 1/2 " S&W Model 29 44 mag , blued with target hammer and trigger. Must be in excellent or better condition.

2. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

pm sent

3. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

I have 629 classic 44 magnum. Barely fired in excellent condition. No box. Shoot me a price if you are interested.
    Steve
    North Carolina

4. plabels466

plabels466 Member

0   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

check your pm...............pete

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

I have a Classic DX, fully engraved and gold wire inlay, unfired for sale. Priced at $2000, Can send pics if interested.

GneJ

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

0   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

Are you a collector or looking for a shooter?

7. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

Johnny

I want one to shoot but I want one in 98+ condition.....I load it down to 44 special.

Thanks to all for the replies.

8. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

Contact Jim Kempton at 813-917-1471. He has several.
    Mike Battista

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

0   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

shotgunner , Only the early 29's had a 6 1/2" barrel. They went to a 6" barrel later on. Most will be 6". The early ones will command more money. If you want a shooter you don't really want the early ones. They don't hold up well to full power loads, so watch for that. You will see cylinder endshake and even yoke endshake. The latter ones are beefed up a little and they have larger cylinder notches. Also for shooting, you don't want the target trigger. For double action shooting they are terrible, too wide to be comfortable. They are for single action shooting.

10. oz

oz Active Member

0   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

I had an early 29 and shot the hell out of it. Never had a problem.

11. plabels466

plabels466 Member

0   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

HUH!!! I have two older 44 mags, model 29s, made in 1965, & 1975..... I have shot several thousand heavy 44 special loads & many, (1500 maybe) 44 mags with 21 grs 2400 powder/240 gr bullets......No problems, no end shake, no yoke endshake, no shakes at all, & very very accurate.....I do agree on the wide target trigger.......The older smiths are classics in workmanship, fit, blueing, etc.....I have three newer Smiths & do not like them compared to the older ones, especially the older Model 14 - 38 special..........Pete

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

0   0   0

WTB S&W Model 29 6 1/2

The older ones will most definitely come loose! S&W beefed up the design for that reason. Pete and oz, you are aware they changed the design? Pete, that's not really a lot of shooting. I bought a 629 that had both cylinder and yoke endshake. I got it cheap and wanted older model with pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. It is the only S&W I have ever handled that that had yoke endshake, cylinder endshake is not umcommon. They can be fixed. I took the slop out and now it is my favorite Smith. It had been pounded with heavy loads.

I agree the older models had better workmanship but even then they weren't perfect. Most every Smith I have examined has timing problems. They time by spinning the cylinder ahead. The hand bumps the cylinder and spins it ahead of the trigger pull. Stop the cylinder from spinning with one finger and then pull the hammer back slowly. The cylinder stop should drop into the cylinder notch as the hammer cocks. Do it six times and check each notch. If it cocks and the stop in not in the notch, it isn't timed properly. Apparently S&W isn't concerned. I replace the hand with and oversize part or work on the ratchet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

s&w 629 yoke replacement