1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB: S&W 686 National Match or Model 627

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by AveragEd, Jul 19, 2013.

1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm on the hunt for a Smith & Wesson Model 686 National Match or an older 6" Model 627. If you have one you would sell, please let me know.

Thanks!

Ed

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I've never heard of a 686 National match. It's not in any
    of my collector books.

3. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

0   0   0

Howdy, It look's like a PPC revolver.

PPC is still going strong in south east Michigan. MOJO Joe is still building them.

thebrushcreekltd.com is his web site. also check out mpcpa.org and taylorpistolclub.com or org. there are many other clubs in Michigan that have leagues and matches.

Best Regards,

Tom

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

They were built to be used as prizes at the National Police
    Revolver Championships in the mid-eighties.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Ed, is this for a collection? or to shoot?

If to shoot, Joe Leininger (MOJO GUNS) is the current top dog. I shoot with the southern Michigan PPC shooters and that's the choice of most of the top dogs here (Border Patrol, Oakland Cty Sheriff etc...)

Jim Chapman

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Unless I found an unfired specimen, I would shoot it in addition to fondly collecting it. I resist buying unfired guns like that because a)they cost too much and b)I won't want to shoot them for fear of seriously devaluing them when the purchase price is considered.

I have one unfired S&W revolver that is now out of production and I bought it by accident. It is a 6" Model 686-4 PowerPort, a version with a large oval opening at the top of the muzzle that requires the front sight be placed back perhaps 1/2" from the muzzle. It was represented by the dealer selling it online as being "mint" but the S&W-trained gunsmith to whom I have my online gun purchases sent showed me several indicators that it may not have even been factory test-fired. The most obvious is the interior of that port - its sides are porous, so they are a little rough and the bottom is smooth from the end of the cutter and both surfaces are spotlessly clean. Getting those porous surfaces in such a tight area that clean would be nigh onto impossible.

averaged_2008_0303506.jpg

So if possible, I'd like a "shooter" in nice condition. Thanks for all the replies. I've been casually looking for a 686NM without any luck for two years and older 627s in rough shape are fetching more than I will invest in a gun that isn't like new - and that's when you can find one.

I took a shot...

Ed