1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB: Rifle scope

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by skeet_man, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Looking for a scope for my .22 for benchrest shooting.

Here are my set in stone requirements:

-Must go to @ least 12x (am interested and would probably prefer higher, but that would be bare minimum).

-Must be under $100.

-Must have Adjustable Objective

Looking for something Bushnell Banner-grade or equivalent, but will consider anything that meets my 3 requirements. I can get a brand new Banner 4-16 @ Wally World for $99, and I'm watching some on ebay right now, and haven't really made my mind up on what I want, but lets see what I can find here.

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

For less than $100 what you'll get is a high-power scope with little clarity or resolution -- you will also get an adjustable objective that will actually adjust just not the same each time --- now if you're just screwin' around shooting targets and not acutally doing any benchrest competiton shooting where they actually keep scope the Bushnell Banner will be OK but you'll be shooting against others with equipment suited for the job not an arbitrary dollar amount.

At 50 yards or meters you'd be better off installing a set of precision iron sights but unfortunatley they will also cost more than $100 too.

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Here's your set in stone results: last place.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Simple adage...

Spend equal or more on optics than you did on the rifle.

Good luck in your quest.

5. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

0   0   0

I went and picked up a gun safe last evening and the guy selling the safe asked me if I was interested in any guns. Well you can imagine my best poker face coming out when I said, "Not really, but what have you got". He apparently has been doing something called aspirin shooting. They were all very high end guns, and some very old .22's. He showed me pictures of these unique and highly accurate rifles. They are shooting a baby aspirin at 25 yards and a full size aspirin at 50. Thats pretty dang small.

Anyways, these guns were all equipped with the very best scopes on the market. Some where half as long as the barrell itself. He mentione one scope that was worth 1K just by itself. If your looking to spend just 100 bucks, you might be taking a go cart to a nascar race.

just my 2 cents though

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

0   0   0

Save the $100. At that price, anything you buy will be utter crap and not worth the cardboard box that it came in. For a few hundred, you can get good quality scopes that still don't cost a fortune.

Why do you need AO? That generally tends to make the scopes much more expensive. Most 22 scopes are paralax set for 50 yards, what do you plan on shooting?

As HSLDS said, you will not see any serious benchrest shooter with a scope that costs less than the rifle. There is a reason for that.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Good advice.

My two $650 game rifles have $500 scopes on them. My $850 varmint Rifle has a $750 scope. My two vintage lever guns have $100+ worth of iron sights on them.

My vintage single shot 45/70 target rifle has a $250 set of iron sights on it. They are not top of the line, but are suitable for the level of performance that may be required of them. Get the idea?

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Check out CDNN. They have scopes priced very reasonably - cannot attest to the quality.

You might try for a fixed power (costs a lot less - if you can find one) - with that you will not need an adjustable objective.

Again, good luck

9. skeet_man

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I do not intent to shoot any sort of competition with this gun, only fun shooting and maybe betting cokes with my dad @ the club. @ $100 for the scope, I WILL be spending more for the scope than I did for the gun LOL (used Remington 597).

What you guys are suggesting would be equivalent to suggesting someone buy a Krieghoff to shoot clay pigeons in their back yard off a trius trap LOL.

10. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

0   0   0

DB Bill hit it on the head. You can't hit what you can't see, cheap high power scopes have magnification along with fuzzy distortion and unrepeatable adjustments. There are plenty of cheap Chinese optics fan boys on the internet but they must be getting products I've never seen, or don't expect to shoot as well as I do. Buy a good scope and you will enjoy it for life unless you lose it.

You don't have to spend a fortune on European optics unless you want to. I've had great mid priced scopes from Leupold, Burris, Nikon, and Bausch and Lomb.

My standard advice is any optics that come in a blister pack are not worth taking home.

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

0   0   0

Few options from the better brands.....

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-4-12x40mm-prostaff-matte-riflescopes-6324-6325.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/redfield-revolution-4-12x40mm-riflescope-matte-finish-4-plex-accu-range-reticle.html

I also like weaver, but would prefer one of the ones above....

http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-40-44-6-5-20-x-44-ao-riflescope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-40-44-4-12-x-44-ao-scope.html

12. skeet_man

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I appreciate the advise, but spending more than $100 is just not going to happen. I understand the level of quality I'll be getting and I'm fine with that.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

ccw1911,

"My standard advice is any optics that come in a blister pack are not worth taking home"

You are 100% correct on that statement except i've had a few beautifully boxed piece of sh!t scopes. You usually get what you pay for and i've had to find that out the hard way do to stubborness.

A great scope that won't break the bank is the Nikon Pro Staff. Crystal clear optics and less that $150.

Buy good or buy twice.

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

0   0   0

You're right Grntitan. I forgot to mention Weaver, I've sold a few Weaver scopes lately and they are a very good value. In fact I just put one on my SIL's AR15 that has .556 ballistics built in with hash marks below the crosshairs for various yardage correction. It's an impressive scope especially for the price.

A good friend who is a lot better rifle shot than me, talked me into entering a 22 competition that was shooting at some tiny tiny targets at 50yds. He had an expensive heavy barrel match target rifle with an older Weaver Target scope he'd had for years and could shoot one hole groups on demand with. I had a lowly Ruger 1022 but it was a sleeper, I had set back the barrel and rechambered and blueprinted the bolt, but the main thing I had a Kidd trigger and a very good Burris 4x12 fine cross hair scope. So all things considered he should have beat me pretty easily.

Two days before the match somebody talked him into this Chinese high magnification scope that came in a nice cardboard box, so he put it on his rifle to give him an extra edge. Long story short that day he shot patterns with his match rifle and I won the match with my little ole 1022 and the Burris scope. Not sure where that Chinese super duper high magnification, target turret, adjustable objective, scope is now, but it is full of bullet holes.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

With a Remington 597 you aren't going to be doing any serious bench rest shooting so you don't really need a high power/expensive scope. A decent quality fixed 4x - 1" tube scope can be had in your price range from several makers. I would look at Nikkon first.

16. skeet_man

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I would like something with more power than 4x. I have an old Weaver K8 on there right now thats my dads, and its OK, but I would like something stronger.

17. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Skeet, I've got a nearly new Tasco that I believe is a 4-12X AO. I'm at work now, but I will look when I get home tonight.

18. skeet_man

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Rick- I might be interested depending on model condition and price.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

The big name scopes are nice, and if you had a 500 dollar 22 would be a good deal.

Get a BSA Sweet 22. Taylor made for the round and not expensive. Around a hundred bucks.

Mash the link, there is a sale on right now.

HM

20. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

0   0   0

I have a Simmons 6.5X20 new in box, if this does anything for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.