1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Renington 700 VSSF II in .223

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by SCtrapshooter, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCtrapshooter

SCtrapshooter TS Member

0   0   0

WTB Reminmgton 700 VSSF II in .223 Caliber. Tom McBroom Send PM or Call me at 803-609- 5531.

2. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

0   0   0

I just sold the last one I had in .223. If you can use a .204 Ruger let me know. I have one, brand new in the box.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

In the for-what-it's-worth department, if you want accuracy along with easier carrying weight in a .223, don't overlook the admittedly goofy-looking Model 700VTR with its triangular barrel and muzzle brake.

I bought a new Desert Recon version on here a little over two years ago from a poster who was selling it for a friend who won it in a raffle and didn't want it. I admit to buying it only because the asking price was very reasonable and there was always the chance that the VTR would not be popular, causing Remington to discontinue it early in its production life and make the few that were sold more valuable. That was the first thing I was wrong about with regard to that rilfe.

I didn't expect anything out of it accuracy-wise, given its "tupperware" stock and unconventional barrel design. But I was very pleasantly surprised as it puts five rounds into almost one ragged hole at 100 yards with its favorite handload. I mounted a 4-12x 40mm Leupold VX2 with a Leupold Dot reticle on it and replaced the trigger with a Timney. Other than that, absolutely nothing was done to it.

I also thought the muzzle brake, being cut into the 22" barrel instead of being added onto it, would reduce muzzle velocity as it effectively shortens the barrel almost two inches. But I was wrong there, too. It delivers an average of 3,212fps with a 50-grain Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tip over 25.0 grains of Benchmark powder. I have a VSSF in .22-250 and it's a armload to carry around if the fields are high or to and from your predator blind as well as clumsy to move around once inside the blind. But I've found the VTR to be a great rifle for a lot of applications. It also costs significantly less than the VSSF.

Ed

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I have one of those stainless

Gene

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Gene, I'm pretty sure that all VSSFs are stainless - Varmint Stainless Synthetic Fluted is what I recall its acronym standing for.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.