1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB - Remington Model 7600 .270 Win

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by AveragEd, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

A friend of mine wants a Remington 7600 in .270 Winchester. The rifle must be in very good condition and have a Monte Carlo stock. A quality scope could be a plus but is not necessary. No carbines, please. He will handle a face-to-face transaction in southern Pennsylvania/northern Maryland or will arrange for shipping with payment via overnight money order.

Thanks for any replies.

Ed

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Also known as a long range Amish Tommygun

3. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Vern, I kind of agree - but the reason Remington stopped making those forends was comments from users about the guns feeling clubbish and the forend feeling like a 4x4 in your hand. A friend of mine from Schuylkill County has a 760BDL - in .270, as a matter of fact - and he complains about the wood being hard to grip tightly with gloves on because of the pressed basket weave "checkering." Remington didn't abandon that style wood for no reason.

A 760 might be a tad better made but for all a hunting rifle is fired in its lifetime, a 7600 will outlast almost anyone.

Ed

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Also known as a long range Amish Tommygun

LOL! That's funny, Calvin. I'll bet almost every Pennsylvania deer hunter now has or once had a 14/141/760 at one time or another. I live in California now, but I break out the 760 in .270 to hunt deer out here now and again. I never shoot the 14 in .32 Rem, though. Getting hard to find ammo.

5. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

22's post reminds me of a funny story about Pennsylvania "deer rifles." Perhaps 20 years or more ago, I went to my brother-in-law Dave's place for the first day of our rifle season. We spent the night before at his kitchen table swapping lies and he kept reminding me that my bolt-action Model 700 in 7mm-08 was not a "deer gun" and recommended that I get a lever-action 30-30 like his. After all, real "deer guns" were lever-actions or pumps and just had to be chambered for a 30-caliber cartridge. The kidding continued even as we climbed the ridge to our stands the next morning.

At 9:30, I shot a seven-point and after field-dressing it, dragged (well, rode) it down the ridge to the stream at the bottom, where Dave eventually joined me, deerless. We stood there talking loudly and smoking cigarettes (we both smoked back then) and had emptied our guns in preparation for crossing the stream when a very nice buck - much nicer than mine - suddenly appeared behind Dave. I pointed behind him and said "Dave - deer" over and over until he finally decided I wasn't kidding and turned to look. The deer wasn't 15 yards behind him looking straight at us. Dave slowly reached for his trusty 30-30, carefully inserted a shell into the magazine and slow-but-steadily cycled the action to chamber the shell. Half-way up toward the closed position, the lever stopped and would not move either way. Dave frantically tried to free the jammed action, but the deer eventually bored of watching him and casually walked away.

My first words were, "So Dave, how's that DEER GUN of yours working?" The next deer season, Dave had a bolt-action - but it was a .30-06, so he said it still "qualified."

Ed

6. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks, Vern. But this is for Paul Q - he has his mind set on a .270 and you know how hard it is to convince those hillbillys that the same cartidge with a "Johnny-come-lately" .284" bore is better than an older one with a .277" bore.

I'd buy the 280 in a heartbeat.

Ed

7. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Got one - thanks for the replies.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 7600 270 for deer