1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB - Remington 7400 or model 4

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Hello,
    Been interested in purchasing a Remington autoloader for some time now. I know this is a trap site ... but if any of you hunters out there have one that hasnt been shot-up much ... send me a message. Would enjoy hearing what you might have for sale.
    Thanks, Brian

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

These get pretty bad reviews - I imagine you will get some of that here.

You might want to think about one of the browning autoloaders

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. bluskyshooter

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Thanks Gene,
    Problem is - I have shouldered the Remingtons .. and they fit me like a glove. The Browning - not quite as good. So - Remington it is.

4. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

0   0   0

Following remarks pertain to my Rem 740 30-09, a forerunner of the 7400 or model 4 -
    1- bolt cover - needs to be in place to keep the bolt internals in the proper order - the original guns used a metal bolt cover -nowadays there are loads of plastic covers available if you need to replace

2- despite how they are marked there are magazines and magazines - the ones that fit my 740 are marked with the specific caliber-not a range of calibers based on the 30-06 case e.g. 25-06,270, 280 Rem etc . Those go in but are hard to lock in and will not lock in with a full four rounds loaded

the bolt will not lock back with the magazine out as the bolt stop is an integral part of the magazine

3- reloading- if you reload bear in mind that it's a gas-operated gun- the action will function only with rounds loaded to factory or near factory specifications - per the Lyman 49th ed. handbook this will be 62gr of 4831 which is a full caseful of powder

4- visit www.wisnersinc.com - they have a full page of comments on the Remington autoloaders

5 -pull out the trigger group and see if the bolt locking lugs are biting into the internal rails - common on 740's

5. bluskyshooter

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Thanks Bentley - good tips to file away

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

0   0   0

Since they feel the same and are more dependable why not check into the pump version 7600?

7. missed

missed Member

0   0   0

GOT A LIKE NEW 30/06 WITH A LEUPOLD SCOPE FOR SALE. CALL ME @ 847-255-6875 BOB

8. bluskyshooter

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

SB - Its all a trade-off, isnt it. I prefer the auto's - I dont want to punish myself with 30-06 recoil. The semi-auto's do a nice job of softening the recoil. That, and I dont like carrying a pump action ... my hand seems to always want to position right where the "lack of forearm wood" is .... which isnt comfortable for me.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

If you MUST have one, buy a 7400, new or in mint condition. Get the full length gun. RUN from a 740 or 742. These guns must have clean chambers to be reliable. I would thoroughly clean the arm every time I shot it, and no more than a box between cleanings.

I would only shoot STANDARD commercial factory ammo in it, and shoot it sparingly. No Superformance or Light Magnum ammo. These guns are less than stellar. When I performed warranty service and repair, I dreaded seeing one of these in the warranty rack. They would often have oversize chambers, making life difficult for the inadequate extractor.

Since the magazine acts as a bolt stop, the bolt will beat it to pieces. Using a 7600 mag will not hold the bolt open after the last shot, but will last as long as the gun.

Even Remington does not like them. I have no idea why these are still made.

I am sure there are folks who own these guns and have little trouble with them, but they are in the minority.

If you don't need the quick second shot an auto provides, look at the Ruger No 1. They feel a little like the Remmy, and seem to kick less. Gun fit is everything.

The 30/06, in a properly fitting rifle, does not generate excessive recoil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.