1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB: Remington 1187

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by arbarnes, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arbarnes

arbarnes TS Member

I'm coaching a Northern California scholastic team, and one of our shooters has about worn out his 1187. It's a great gun with high-end mods, and it's been fitted to him by a top gunfitter, but it looks like the moving parts are shot. At the PITA state shoot this weekend, it malfunctioned repeatedly, and he ended up shooting borrowed guns in the last few events.

The least expensive solution seems to be to buy another 1187 with fewer rounds through it and switch out the barrel, trigger, stock, and forearm. So a field gun, a slug gun, or whatever would be fine. A tricked-out trap gun would work too, but cost is a consideration for him.

Time is of the essence: our Zone shoot is in 10 days and our state shoot is less than 3 weeks away. Anybody have an 1187 they want to part with?

Thanks,

Alan

2. arbarnes

arbarnes TS Member

I'm coaching a Northern California scholastic team, and one of our shooters has about worn out his 1187. It's a great gun with high-end mods, and it's been fitted to him by a top gunfitter, but it looks like the moving parts are shot. At the PITA state shoot this weekend, it malfunctioned repeatedly, and he ended up shooting borrowed guns in the last few events.

The least expensive solution seems to be to buy another 1187 with fewer rounds through it and switch out the barrel, trigger, stock, and forearm. So a field gun, a slug gun, or whatever would be fine. A tricked-out trap gun would work too, but cost is a consideration for him.

Time is of the essence: our Zone shoot is in 10 days and our state shoot is less than 3 weeks away. Anybody have an 1187 they want to part with?

Thanks,

Alan

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Geez ... I have an 11/87 that has well over 5000 and more than likely over 6000 roundd threw it since it has been cleaned and it still shoots great, not a single malfunction of any sort other than a new o-ring a few months back. This gun has more than likely well over 17 or 18,000 rounds threw it since new and still has never had any malfunction other than having to replace an o-ring here and there. It has shot dear, ducks, geese, rabbit, skeet, trap, bunker trap, wobble trap, squirell, dove and many other things but still has never really had a problem.

I never knew you could wear out a Remington ... are ya sure it aint a Browning? Have the kid clean the gun and replace the 0-ring and see if that helps. Be sure he checks and is postive that presure comp thingie is back on the gun or he will have malfuntions.

Just what is his gun doing?

4. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

my dads 11-87 was bought in 1989ish new has over 30,000 through it and is still fine never malfunctions and i have been shooting it for trap but he won't part with the thing for any price i have offered him $800 for it and he wouldn't take it, to much sentimental value to him i guess. but as lumper said i didn't know that remingtons wear out, my 11-87 is in the repair shop right now i gummed up the forend somehow and it busted the magazine tube, but thats user error and that gun has never malfunctioned either untill it broke, try what lumper said since shooting a seemingly identical gun can still throw your scores i found that out the hard way.
    i wish i could help more, nothing better then a kid getting out and busting some clays and meeting a bunch a different people.

5. arbarnes

arbarnes TS Member

The gun is clean and well-maintained, and Remington factory techs went through it at the Grand last year. I don't know how many rounds this gun has seen, but it's in the tens of thousands if not more, and nothing lasts forever.

The add-ons are all in great shape, and probably cost five times what the gun did. So a new set of moving parts seems to be the easiest way to get the kid back on track.

Anybody have an 11-87 sportsman with a nicked up stock and 250 rounds through it?

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

1187 special purpose, black plastic stocks, 21" fully rifled deer barrel with rifle sights and 28" vr ct barrel. gun might have 300 rds through it. I use it for deer season and i shot a 2 man flush with it a couple of times. 700.00 + shipping to your ffl. can supply pics if you're interested.

Brett D.

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

a free bump

8. arbarnes

arbarnes TS Member

Thanks everybody,

We got him squared away and ready to run 'em at the state shoot.

Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.