1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Remington 1100 trap - Success!

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by SonoraMike, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

0   0   0

in search of my first trap gun, after doing some initial reading I'm thinking that I'm after an 870 or an 1100. Hoping to keep purchase under $500 shipped to 95370 if I can. Open to other options - still learning about what I don't know... I'd guess I'm after some chokes and a case with it as well.

Have my grandfathers 1925 Model 12 (and a remington .270 pump deer rifle too) that I've put 4 shells thru but can't bring myself to shoot any more, and I'd really like to shoot some trap and maybe try other clay sports as well.

Anybody have anything that might fit my needs that they'd like to part with?

Thanks

Mike

2. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Mike,

The 1100 is an excellent choice. IMHO..Dollar for Dollar, it is the BEST all around trap gun you can buy. As most shooters on TS.com will tell you, the
    older/vintage model 1100s, especially those with STEP RIBS are preferred over
    over the newer "Classic Trap" production models. Basically the same gun, but the older guns are made better. Depending on what you plan to shoot, the whole choke tube thing may prove to be little more than a distraction and I would suggest you not make that a priority.

If you are going to be shooting 16 yard singles, look for an 1100 with a
    30" fixed full or, if you're lucky, a 30" fixed modified choke step rib barrel.
    I have three in my personal collection that I have difficulty parting with because they are a joy to shoot and I post better scores with them than I do with anything else in my collection.

$500.00 net for an 1100 in 95% condition with a hard case may be hard find.
    I suggest you spend a little more for something really nice. Parts are very easy to find and inexpensive. The gun will last a lifetime, and if you decide to upgrade, the 1100 will serve as an excellent back up,

Smok'n Joe

3. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

0   0   0

lot of really helpful info there Smok'n Joe - thanks for taking the time to write it up for me.

When you say "older/vintage model 1100's" what year ranges are you discussing?

What do you think my budget should be for an 1100? Case isn't a deal killer one way or the other, just seemed like a "nice to have"

Went to the local shop and saw a couple of 870's that were much older, $250 for one and $400 for the other. $250 one was a well used field grade model, the $400 was a magnum. No 1100's.

4. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

0   0   0

If those 870s have a 30" rib barrel, that's a good gun. Unlike the Perazzi crowd, I don't mind a field stock on a trap gun. Also, that 12 should hold up forever. Can't go wrong, ever, with a 1100.

P.S., They have guns in California? Yuk, yuk, yuk.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

Mike,

Another gun you might consider is the Browning BPS Trap. They are great guns and often over looked. They come w/choke tubes and a M/C stock. Some critisize them for being a bottom loading gun, but it is really a non-issue. In my opinion, they are one of the softest shooting slide guns made.

The other big plus is that you can usually buy a new one for less than $600 if you do a little shopping.

ss

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

0   0   0

The 1100, as most have said, is the way to go. I bought one when I was 17 (60's now) and it is still doing anything I want to do with it. I've shot deer, pheasant, ducks, geese, and an awful lot of those orange disks that are very poor eating.

Two years ago I bought a minty 1100 trap, step rib, for my wife. Paid $450...so they are out there. At this stage of your game, chokes are a waste. And you can get a stock with an adjustable comb that you can put on in 10 minutes.

Just keep looking and letting everyone know you are looking.

Bruce

7. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

0   0   0

bumping back up looking for an 1100

btw - both those 870's had 30" rib barrel. the $250 had one bead sight, the $400 had both

8. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

0   0   0

SonoraMike

Review your PM's

Jason

9. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

0   0   0

got it, thanks.

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Isn't there some complications about shipping a firearm to California? I have seen many sellers on GunBroker saying "no sales to ca". I wonder what that is all about. jm

11. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

0   0   0

@Bazooka Joe - thanks for the lead, just getting that first cup of joe down my piehole this morning, will ring them up once the blood starts circulating

@jm1079 - I've seen that same thing as well, but since this is my first purchase I'm not sure what the problem(s) might be. I've tried to let all who have sent me emails/PM's with 1100's for sale know that I'm in CA. So far everybody has not seen it as a problem.

12. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

0   0   0

@jim1079 - talked with my local FFL that I'll be buying through, here is the deal with regard to sales into CA as it was explained to me:

if you are an individual selling to someone in CA it looks like a normal deal. the FFL sends copy of his license to the seller, seller receives payment and sends gun to the FFL who receives it and hangs on to it for the 10 day waiting period and then I get it. no heroics or anything out of the norm.

the dealer to dealer sales is where things get tougher, something to do with the out of state dealer needed to inquire with CA DOJ to confirm that the CA FFL is legal/licensed, etc. A few more steps involved in this type of transaction.

@Bazooka Joe - talked with Bill earlier today, but he had concerns about selling to someone unknown and out of state and decided that he didn't want to do that after speaking with "an advisor" about his concerns. Too bad, price and condition were nice. Unmolested mid 80's Trap model 1100 in excellent shape, I think I would have worked to put a deal together for that one. Thanks for the lead, wish it would have worked out. But maybe this info will help someone local

13. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Thanks for the info on CA sales regs. Are you looking for an 1100 Trap gun with a 30 inch fixed full choke step rib barrel and monte carlo stock, or an all around 1100/1187 with adjustable stock and a 28" or 30" barrel w/choke tubes? I may have a lead on both of these guns. PM me if you are interested. JM

14. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

0   0   0

15. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

0   0   0

I pulled the trigger this morning on that beautiful 1100 TBMC that Mark had for sale, wanted to say thanks to everybody for their input and help. Joe went above and beyond to help me with counsel and info, it's made my first purchase here a really nice experience. Thanks Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.