1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB, Quality, Accurate Bolt Action 22 Rifle

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Jerry944t, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I watched a NRA Silhouette match the other day and it seemed like inexpensive fun. I realized I don't have a full sized, good quality bolt action 22 rifle so I'm asking if anyone has something for sale.

Check you safes and get back to me if you have a rifle that isn't being used. Pictures and detailed description would be helpful.

I'll be at the Westy Hogans next week and I pass right by Cabelas. Don't make me stop and buy retail.

A private message or email will get my attention. Obviously no X's in the email.

2. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

0   0   0

If you want a quality bolt action rifle for silhouette, go to www.steelchickens.com and look through the rifles advertised for sale. Steelchickens is the primary silhouette forum. Here is a listing for a good "starter" gun
    http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4795
    It is a CZ 452 which is the silhouette equivalent of a BT99 - cheap and gets the job done as well as anything. There is also an Anschutz 1712 listed if you want to start out with the Perazzi/Krieghoff equivalent. Almost all of the top shooters use a 1712, they just don't stay as stock guns for the top shooters.
    You can also look at www.rimfirecentral.com.

Lastly, next weekend is the PA state championship at Tiadaghton Sportsmens Assoc. There will be guns for sale there. The Nationals were at Ridgway PA in early July and will be there again in 2011 in late August.

If you go to Cabelas you might wind up with somthing less than well suited for silhouette is you don't know what you are doing and the salesman doesn't either. I know somebody who was steered into buying a Remington 597, which is far from an optimal silhouette rifle.

3. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

0   0   0

A note about the CZ 452,,I happened on to one with a heavy barrel in .22 rim fire and while I was sighting in a new 1022 I had just built,,(heavy barrel,thumb hole stock blah blah,)my son put 3 clips,30 rounds in the same hole at 32 yards with that CZ,,,,when he was done the hole was less than the size of a dime,,,,very accurate rifle,,,,,,,,I wish they were American made but,,,,,,

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

i'll second that

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I took in on trade a mint, possibly unfired Kimber Model 22 H-S which is their 24" barreled Hunter-Silhouette model. Beautiful gun and would expect that its very accurate. I bought a bore guide, scope rings and extra magazine thinking I would shoot it in some matches but never got around to it. $900

6. Jerry944t

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks for all the good info and especially the link to Steelchickens.

Around my area people seem to shoot a CZ or Savage with Accutrigger.

A brand new Savage (Model Mark ll BV) with that trigger and a laminate stock and scope mounts is under $300 which leaves some bucks for a scope.

Any feedback on that rifle?

Thanks

7. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

You may want to check out the CZ-453 Varmint; it's the 452 with a set-trigger. I have both, but with the 452, you'll have to buy an after-market trigger to take advantage of the rifle's accuracy. You may also want to check out an Anschutz (the model with the wing safety; 1712?). 22s are especially picky with the ammo they prefer, Chichay

8. Jerry944t

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Bump up for any other info. Thanks.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

Jerry,

I have one of those Savage rifles you are referring to. It is one of the package models with the cheap Simmons 3x-9x scopes. I can cut a ragged hole with 5 shots at 50yards with Eley Sport ammo. Great rifles for the money. The only thing I changed on mine was to paper shim the scope. I may buy some good optics for it some day to see how it will really shoot.

Two things to keep in mind if you get a new gun. One, spend some quality time cleaning the gun prior to shooting. This includes the trigger area. Two, buy as many different kinds of ammo as you can to find out which one your gun likes the best. I probably went through 8 different boxes before settling in on the Eley Sport.

Good luck and no, my gun is not for sale.

ss

10. VNVET

VNVET Member

0   0   0

I own a CZ452 American and it's one of the most accurate .22's I've ever shot. Yes the trigger needs some work but there is someone out there who makes a kit which will make the trigger smooth and break at about 2lbs or less. Go here and and do a search or post the question.

http://benchrest.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Rimfire-Benchrest

Jim

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I'd go with the Savage 93, throw out the accu-trigger, replace it with a Basix, make some stock adjustments (they seem to be built for a little kid) and you've got a great shooter. This is my .17HMR (same gun) and it's the funnest gun I own and super accurate.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1031.jpg" target="_blank"> 100_1031.jpg </a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1030.jpg" target="_blank"> 100_1030.jpg </a>

12. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

0   0   0

I noticed a lot of comments like "it shoots great, but you need to change this", or "very accurate after you add this". Why not just spend the extra $$ and buy a Cooper or Anschutz, then you won't have to add anything to it but good ammo.

A pig in a wedding dress is still just a pig...

13. missed some

missed some TS Member

0   0   0

my old marlin with iron sights shooting 22 shorts hit many a coon in the eye i was aimin for way up there in a cottonwood tree, all while holding the light so i could see what i was doin

14. use

use Member

0   0   0

i have a anschutz 1710 22lr meister grade with the delux rollover cheek piece stock. i also have a cooper model 57 in 17hmr that i would sell either or both just don't shoot them both were sighted in and in the safe they sit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kimber hs hunter silhouette accuracy