1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB PW 900

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by ClaySmoke, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

0   0   0

I'm wanting to purchase a PW 900. It must be in very good condition. PM me to let me know what you have. Thanks. Garrett

2. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

0   0   0

3. Guy

Guy Member

0   0   0

Don't. Nuthin' but trouble. Do a new or old 800.

4. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

0   0   0

What is the "trouble" that you see with the 900's WGH? Garrett

5. blaster

blaster Member

0   0   0

I have three of them. I haven't had any trouble with them. the only thing I dont like is the primer tray and rail.

6. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

0   0   0

Smoken, is the primer tray and rail on the 900 different than what was on the older 800's? What don't you like about it? Thanks. Garrett

7. JTEA

JTEA Member

0   0   0

Regarding the primer tray, I added an extension using ~ 2" of metal plumbers tape and small machine screws(with the holes) to raise and tilt the tray a little more. You must be more careful when you slide your primers into the tray, but it takes care of itself once loaded. Both PW's do this. If you get it too high you'll know it when you clean up your spilled primers. I also bent the primer slot (half) tube a little so they wouldn't hang when you got low on primers.

I bought a lightly used 900 Elite about 8 years ago. Cleaned it up and lubed it, though it was well kept already. It has run great for thousands of rounds over the years with numerous loads. I have it set for Gun Clubs and I am now loading AA hulls, to get rid of them, with only powder bushing changes. Was using it with Federals in the past. As I recall, I made minor adjustments in wad setter, primer set only. I may have one bad load in 800 > 1000 hulls, if that.

I also have a PW 800 I converted from B to C and used a Spolar final crimp - it works very well. The 800 cranks through them a little easier and faster than the 900 with a slightly shorter stroke cycle. It takes a little more attention to get it accurate so I have it set only for Rem STS hulls for HCP. They are basically the same set up.

Not sure why they made such a big deal about removing dies as the 900 Elite has the full length die and they drop out easily. By removing a small plate at position one and rotating one at a time, as with the new models, you simply drop them out. The base plate can then be cleaned off, oiled etc. and the dies could be cleaned with a brush. I imagine that's an annual maintenance item, at most.

jt

8. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the info JT. Still looking for a nice 900 guys. Garrett

9. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

0   0   0

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

[​IMG]

About the only difference between the 900's (serial number above 4390) and the new Platinum 2000 is the absence of the aluminum cylinder. The Platinums come with the lifetime warranteed Grivory cylinders. I had P/W make me several Platinums with the aluminum cylinder to sell, but they quit doing that about 6 months after the introduction of the Platinum.

I prefer the 800 Plus for the above reason, and because of its ease is changing gauges. I only reload 12, but it makes the machine more saleable and appealing to a skeet shooter, or anyone who wants to load other gauges.

Of course, the newer machines all have the brass primer seating assemblies, the EZ-Fill hoppers, and the removable dies. As mentioned above, I rarely see myself using this function.

The 900 Elite was the same as the 900 with the exception of some added cosmetic features.

900's below serial number 4391 used a ball-bearing and bolt affair to cause the cylinder to rotate. The center vertical shaft was grooved to accept the ball-bearing. Those machine above that serial number use a bolt and roller-collar, as do the present day Platinums.

All the new machines now use a 1ΒΌ" diameter cross-shaft, whereas the 800B, 800C, and 800CVT all used a 7/8" cross-shaft. Because of the 7/8" diameter, aluminum end caps were necessary to hold the operating handle, and the two links that operated (UP/DOWN) the crosshead.

P/W has stopped making the end caps, primer seating assemblies, and shut-off plates for all 800's, except, of course, the new 800 Plus.

Hope this helps... and getting a 900 is fine, as long as it's not worn out. If it is, you could end up spending around $300 for a rebuild.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

11. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

0   0   0

Thanks for all the great info Whiz. Garrett

12. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

0   0   0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.