Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTB progressive reloader for pistol bullits

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  OLD ONE EYE 
#1 ·
Looking for a progressive loader and any dies for 9mm 45 auto 44 special 44 mag 38 sp 357 mag I never loaded bullets so am looking for a complete set up at a good price. I would also like to find out which loaders are the best as I am not familiar with them. Dillon RCBS Lee also are all dies interchangeable between loaders ? Any information would be a big help as I am trying to short cut the research and know the info I need is right here for the asking Just one of the beauties of this thread.
Thanks in advance Buddy

#5 ·
I agree with what was said above. I have a Dillon Square Deal and I load .40S&W and .45 ACP on it. I like it alot, and to say it is easy to use is the understatement of the century. However the Square Deal is a "production style" machine, and despite what they say it takes 20-30 minutes for the average person to change it over to another caliber, and that is assuming dedicated tooling for each caliber at about $170 per complete setup.(I have 2 setups) Tooling is not interchangeable with other machines and is dedicated to the SDB. For all of the calibers you want to load that is a significant outlay. There are always ones available on Ebay with varying amounts of tooling, and usually somebody is selling tooling also. I got mine off Ebay and the NO BS guarantee is still there no matter what. Most people just buy another machine if they want to load different calibers and leave it setup. I can do about 300 rnds per hour on mine without breaking a sweat. The machine also has a really good "feel" to it which makes it a joy to use.

Dillon is a very good outfit to deal with.

If you are going to load 500-1000 rounds per sitting this is the way to go. However if you are going to do 50-100 per sitting or you are going to experiment with and vary loadings then I'd like to suggest a different approach as the SDB is all about cranking out a specific load and making lots of them in the least amount of time.

I have a C&H Pistol Champ.

This Press is a 4 station H Frame press, and is quick and easy to set up. It takes standard 7/8-14 dies, and you move the cartridge case to each station as you load that round. The center station in the back is for Resizing and deprimeing, and It will do rifle cases too. The station on the left side of the machine is for prime expand the case mouth and charge the case, the center front station is the bullet seating station and the right front is for the Crimp. The powder measure can be removed and a funnel can be installed or a Lee Rifle charging die installed, and charges can be measured off the machine and then dropped into the individual cases while in the press.

You can process 150-200 rounds per hour on one of these machines easily, and you won't have a significant learning curve or tooling expendature like there is on any progressive machine, as all of your existing tooling and expertise in loading will work on this machine. It is a small step up to this type of loading and other systems are a little more complicated. If you like simple this is it.

They come with one caliber setup. About $285 and WELL WORTH IT!!!. Or you can buy the bare press for around $200. Excellent quality and C&H (Dave Davidson) is good to deal with. You don't see them often on Ebay and they usually are right at new price when you do. This says something.

I load all of my .44 Mag/Spec on this press and I can switch back and forth between the 2 cases in about 5 minutes. I also load all of my .223 and .30-06 loads on this press, as I can break the cases down (size and deprime) on the Rock Chucker, tumble, and then load on the Pistol Champ. That way I only handle any individual clean case once and then it is done, and goes into the storage box.

It is another way to go and it sounds to me like if you want to load multiple calibers in short quantities, this may be a better choice for you. Most people who load alot of pistol rounds have a Dedicated Press for each caliber rather than doing the change over routine. There are several guys on here that have a dedicated loading machine for every individual round they load.

The other route is a Dillon 550B which is a cross between a full progressive, a turret press, and a single stage press. The tooling is common and the change over is about 10-15 minutes. I'd say if you were going to do a significant amount of rifle loading like 200-300 of one caliber at a time then this would probably be the best idea as the 500B will load just about anything, both pistol or rifle, and once set up it is pretty fast. There is also alot of used tooling available on Ebay for this machine, and it also takes normal 7/8-14 dies.

If you are only going to do 100-200 rounds of any caliber in one sitting then none of the progressive presses are going to be ideal as the setup and changeover time has to be "amortized" over the number of finished rounds you make off that set up. The less setup time the less amount of time is wasted. The longer the run the smaller the amount of setup time is absorbed by each round. Something to think about if you value your time.

There are several options for you to consider. I wish you luck in your pursuit of the ideal machine for your needs.

Randy

#6 ·
If it were me, I would look at the Hornady AP Lock-n-Load. It uses standard dies and the system eliminates the need for additional tool heads.

I have 4 Dillons and a Star so I am not promoting what I use. Dillon makes a fine machine but the Hornady may have them beat.

For pistol you should stay away from a machine that does not auto index. It is easier to double charge on a Dillon 550B if you have a brain phart. A double charge will ruin your day (if you are lucky).

The Lee's are basically junk. Very few serious reloaders use them. Great if you like to tinker and adjust. People who recommend them have not used anything else - because anything else is better.

A Case feeder is a necessity if you intend to load a lot but changing calibers is more of a PITA. If you do less than 500 at a time, do not get one.

With a five hole die head, add a Powder Check die. Not necessary but it will warn of over/under charged cases.

You are not reloading "bullits" you are loading cartridges.

Don Verna

#8 ·
Here's a vote for the Hornady Lock 'n Load AP. Loads rifle also, and your changeover cost is only a $30 shell plate (in addition to dies). Dillon RL550 is the same price but doesn't auto index (Square Deal auto indexes, but doesn't load rifle). Dillon does have a great warranty and they replace broken parts for free. However, for me the Hornady is nicer to load on, and I'm buying a loader to use, not to fix (and anyway, I don't think you're going to spend very much time fixing either one). I decided I'm not going to buy a press that I have to index manually umpteen thousand times, just for the privilege of maybe getting a $20 part for free someday.

Along the lines of the CH press Randy mentions above (which looks pretty nice), you can always get the Dillon "Basic Press" for $260. It's the cheapest press I know of that turns out a loaded shell with every pull of the handle. It's just an RL550 without the auto prime and auto powder. You have to watch what you're doing, of course, but it will load half as fast as the 550 (still much faster than single-stage), you just have to supply a powder measure and operate it manually at the top of the stroke, while also placing a primer. It can be upgraded to a RL550 later by adding the auto prime and powder mechanisms.

And I agree about the Lee stuff. Save your money.

(7/8" dies are all interchangeable, and there isn't much difference between them, as long as you buy carbide. The only non-interchangeable dies are the Dillon Square Deal Bs. They are unique to that press, only).

#9 ·
Buddy,

If there's a chance that you might be reloading rifle ammunition also and would like to use only 1 machine, I would suggest the Dillon 650XL. It uses standard dies and has an optional electric casefeeder that'll have you rolling out quality ammo in no time. Lots of accessories available and Dillon's customer service is second to none.

Been reloading since the mid 60's and have gone through the usual route of single presses, turrets, and finally progressives... from Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Reddings, etc. I suppose the progression has made me a little more mechanically savvy, but it has also cost me much more money. Now most of them are just collecting dust in the garage. Wish I had learned of the Dillon earlier. I encourage you to browse their website.

You're at the doorstep of a great hobby. PM me if I could be of further help.

Chichay

#11 ·
I would like to add accolades to the Hornady lok n load progressive. I studied all the manufacturers brochures and it came down to the Dillon and Hornady. The Hornady won and I am not sorry. Comparing features and price Hornady wins. The service has been above excellent even though the few parts I needed were do to my own negligence. Sent at no charge right away. Great machine and even greater people to deal with. Ed Nichols

#13 ·
One thing to consider guys is that our friend Old One Eye has never loaded ammo. I personally think the simple approach in the beginning,(maybe a single stage press kit) might be a more prudent route in the beginning, and then advancing to a progressive press later when he fully understands what he is doing. He's still going to use the single stage press and tools even if he had the progresssive. I use my Rock Chucker more than all of my other machines combined, it is "basic" to reloading. If he wants to mass produce ammo after he understands the process then he can always buy the progressive of choice.

RCBS, Hornaday, Lyman, Lee, and Redding, all have beginners kits which have everything needed to get started. He's going to need alot more tools than just a progressive press to load ammo. Most of us have accululated these tools over the years, he's starting from scratch.

Virtually all of us started out with single stage presses, Hell I started with a Lee Loader, a plastic hammer, and a powder scale. It was a big deal when I added the Lee priming tool!

To jump right into a progressive loader is a bit of a big step, and we all know there are many prattfalls in loading. Avoiding a double charge on a D550 while you are trying to learn reloading is something you don't need to be worrying about. All it takes is not rotating the turret once and your screwed.

Understanding the process well is the key to safe reloading, and nothing begats understanding better than repetition.

Trying to go right to the head of the line with equipment might be a little over the top for him.

Just a thought.

Randy

#16 ·
nice thing about a dillon you will NEVER get your money back. They are a way over priced piece. any one will step up and give me what I paid it,its yours bet I dont hear a peep. $700 yours well?? you buy the rest of their BS too way to much trouble to change set ups ,powder measure sucks any other bs you want to hear ?? its for sale like new did I get any offers ???

#17 ·
ricks1

Your expectations are a bit over the top. You will not get your money back on a reloader that has been purchased new unless you keep it for many years.

If you are unable to operate your Dillon it is defective. Dillon will put it right. If I did not already have 4 Dillons I would make you an offer. Put it on Ebay and you will sell it; or call Dillon and let them help you out.

Don Verna

#18 ·
I would like to thank all of the people that offered their help/advice it is greatly appreciated. I have never loaded cartridges{ thanks Don V|} and only plan on loading hand gun ammo. I have 3 PW loaders now a 900 and 2 800Bs so have some progressive experience and a progressive without auto indexing sounds like a easy double load mistake so I will rule that out. I may in fact may be better off with a simpler machine. I will have to go look at the machines and do more research as I would like to buy used so I can get all the equipment I need from the start. Thanks again for the info like to see the Hornady and CH and RCBS loaders first as I would like to hit it on the first try. Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.