1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB, Progressive pistol press

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Jerry944t, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm tired of loading .45ACP rounds with my single stage press. Does anyone have a progressive press like a Dillon Square Deal gathering dust? Or something similar.

Please email me or use the Private Messaging feature on this site.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. Jerry944t

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

No one has a dust catcher?

3. 682b

682b Member

0   0   0

Ebay item # 300214127615 it is a PW and looks to be in near new condition.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

0   0   0

The Square Deal is the best way to go for handgun-only loading. If you can ponder ever loading rifle cartridges, the 550B from Dillon will be a better choice. The no BS Warranty and lack of wiggle words from Dillon is worth every penny.....Bob Dodd

5. Jerry944t

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have a single stage press for rifle reloading, this will be strictly for pistol so the Square Deal seems to be a reasonable choice. I also am space limited so the bigger framed Dillons are a disadvantage.

Thanks for the replies.

Jerry

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

0   0   0

Jerry, Give Kelly a call 610-564-5523 he has a Dillon square deal in 45acp.that he wants to sell. He went to a Hornady LNL AP.

7. rdf59

rdf59 Member

0   0   0

I have the Lee progressive turret (don't recall the correct name for it) and use it for cowboy .357 loads. It works flawlessly and turns out a very good product that goes bang at the proper time and with good accuracy.

I don't see the point in spending the money for the Dillon, when a press that costs about 25% of the big D will do a very good job.

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I have a couple of Hornady L-N-Ls with case feeders. Dillons are excellent machines but so are the Hornadys. Dillon has a super warranty, but then, Hornady has been excellent to me and others I know. Lee is hit or miss. Some guys have zero problems, others have more problems than you can shake a stick at. I had a Progressive 1000 and the only press that was a bigger POS was the RCBS Green Machine I once had. That my friends was a tempermental dog.

The real key is this, do you want to go through the learning curve required to master an auto-indexing press? If not, the Dillon is the better deal. Do you need the speed of auto-indexing and the advantage of 5 die stations and the ability to use any company's dies? then you want the Hornady. The Square Deal must use Dillon dies.

Think you might want to load a volume of 3006 or 223? then the Hornady is better for the money.

9. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

0   0   0

if they still make it, the lee loadmaster could be your answer,
    they are priced right, never had any problems with mine. It even
    holds the bullet in place to seat so you dont have to get your fingers
    in there. just pull the handle and keep all the tubes full. Also you dont have to put the primers in a tube which can be time consuming if you are going to be loading up a lot of shells. It can also load 223 and some others if you want. like i said its pretty good for the $ involved and has a relatively easy learning curve. I can load more pistol bullets per hr on the loadmaster than I can shot shells on my 9000g. might check one out. btw have a dillon as well but prefer the lee for the high volume stuff.

bob

10. ricks1

ricks1 Active Member

0   0   0

if you are going to stay with one or two cal dillon is OK i have a Lee load master it is a good press for the money and cost to convert is not bad it does have some flaws as does dillon the primer feed on Lee is not very good and bullet feed wont work on cast it is not built strong enough for a lot of rifle work i just got a dillon 650 it has many flaws most of which money will cure -- conversions are expensive the pins are a PITA-- shell feed needs electric and MONEY i started to looking at it made shell feed and got the conversions to do 11 cal for around $275 rick

11. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

To be fair, you must compare apples with apples. The Dillon 650 s/b compared to the Hornady L-N-L as they are both auto-indexing. The 550 or the Square Deal are not.

Auto-indexing brings into play a whole new set of advantages and problems. First, you must have a powder cop die with auto-indexing. This allows you to see if a powder charge has been shorted or doubled. This will require an extra die station. No problem if you are not using a Lyman M die to expand for cast bullets or if you are not separating the seating and crimping phases. Only Hornady makes a five station press with full auto-indexing.

Second, how hard is it to remove a case from the press? With Hornady, there is a small spring band that keeps the cases in the shell head. Dillon uses pins. The spring is a lot easier to work with and is not caliber specific.

Third, what is the powder measure like? Dillon's is a knock-off from the old Star reloader of the 1930s. It's OK but it hates stick powder and it is so tricky to adjust that many Dillon owners have a separate one for each tool head/caliber. The Hornady is similar to the RCBS type, is case activated, contains the M die built into the powder drop spout and is infinitely adjustable with the turn of a knob.

Fourth, whose dies do you use? The L-N-L does not like Lee dies. Sometimes they don't quite reach far enough to size properly and sometimes they don't work well with the finished case ejector. All Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Bonanza and Forester dies work perfectly. Most Dillon dies to except those specific to the Square Deal. Those fit SD presses only. The Dillon 650 and 550 can use just about anyone's dies as well.

Fifth, how easy is it to change calibers? Hornady uses bushings into which you mount the dies. These lock into place with a 1/4 turn and make die/caliber swaps a cinch. Changing the shell holder takes a wrench and maybe 3 minutes. To totally change over from lets say 38 Sp to 30-30 including setting up the powder drop takes under 10 minutes, more like 5 actually.

Most/many Dillon owners find that caliber swaps can be time consuming so they buy multiple tool heads and keep dies and powder measures permanently mounted and adjusted. Changing the shell holder plate on a Dillon takes a wrench and about as much time as it does on a Hornady.

Sixth, it's a lot easier to back up a manual indexing 550B than it is to back up a 650 or a L-N-L. That's something to consider when learning to use the press. There is a feeling with auto-indexers that things are getting away from you. In the beginning, there's just so much to see and keep track of. Manual indexers give the new operator a feeling of more control and a chance to inspect every phase of the operation before advancing.

Finally, there's the primer feed. Dillon's is pretty good. It still requires that you fill a tube by either pressing them in off of a primer flip plate or by using a $200 auto-filling machine. Hornady is the same way. Either primer system is good and both will screw up if you are not keeping things clean. Dillon makes a low primer warning device that I highly recommend as you can run out of primers so fast it will make your head spin. Fortunately, the device is cheap and it can be fitted to a Hornady with a couple of wraps of black tape.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

0   0   0

ombg
    The Square Deal B is auto-indexing.

You so not "need" a "powder cop" die - nice to have but not "needed".

Don

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Geez, I thought I had used a SD and it was manual-indexing, I stand corrected. However, not using a powder cop die is kinda like not wearing a seat belt. I've never double charged a case but, there's always a first time. I have failed to charge or under charge a case though. When running full-tilt-boogie you can run the powder dry and not catch it right away.

14. Chuckbuster

Chuckbuster TS Member

0   0   0

Not shooting much pistol any more. Have a Lee Loadmaster like new with lots of extra"s. Loads 38"s and 357"s and 9mm"s. just fine. Haven"t loaded any 45"s in it but I am suure they would work just fine. Let me know if you are interested. 175.00 for a ton of stuff. You won"t be unhappy. send me mail at chuckbuster62@neo.rr.com

15. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

0   0   0

You'll eventually find a used SquareDeal, Jerry, keep looking. In the meantime if a used 550B comes your way at a good price, I'd suggest grabbing it. Neither would ever disappoint. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.