1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Older .25 .20 ammo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Anyone got an old ammo box with cartridges that fit a .25 .20? I just need the box and maybe 1 or 2 cartridges for display purposes. Thanks. Ed

2. scottheid

scottheid TS Member

Ed, sorry i do not have the box but i have about 30 unfired 25-20 winchester shells that you can have. Scott

3. scottheid

scottheid TS Member

Ed, sorry i was mistaken, i do have a winchester box of 25-20. I no longer have this gun so i do not need the box or the shells. Let me know if you are interested and you can have them. Scott

4. esoxhunter

Scott: Could you email at the above address and let me know what you want for the shells and the box to include shipping? Thanks a lot. Ed

5. theodorescolt45

theodorescolt45 TS Member

Just to clarify, what type of gun are you looking for ammo ( 25/20 ) for ?
    if it's a Lever action, pump or bolt then the designation would be 25/20 WCF,
    if it's a single shot and says "25-20" it's usually 25-20 SS which is the 25/20 Single Shot Designation ( obsolete but you can find them ), it's a longer case.
    I think the Stevens 25-20 is the same case as the 25-20SS but I have to check.
    Anyway, if you need the 25-20 SS you can get a few cases from Buffalo Arms, original ammo you would have to look for. Odds are you have a 25/20WCF but if it's a Winchester M1885, Stevens 44/44 1/2, Ballard etc most of them were 25-20SS and if they were for the WCF the Winchester's that I have seen were marked "WCF"
    good luck !

6. esoxhunter

It's a Winchester Model 1892. Actually I really don't intend to shoot the gun. I just would like an old 25 20 box and a shell or two for display purposes. Hopefully, Scott can help me out. Thanks. Ed

7. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Scott, are the shells you have 60 or 86 grain? I have been loading and shooting my dad's old Winchester 92. I don't believe the 60 gr hp are available any more. Only the 86 gr. Would like to find some 60 gr. hp for it. Sorry about butting in here. Thanks---Steve

8. scottheid

scottheid TS Member

Sorry, the ones i have are the 86gr. soft point. Scott

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Thanks, Scott. I still have some old winchester 60gr.HP bullets to load and Hornady makes a 60 gr. JSP.---Steve

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

....and should anyone have a .25-20 rifle for sale, please send e-mail.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The 25-20 is one of my favorite cartridges.

I have an 1892 takedown rifle with a 24" octagon barrel, full length mag tube, straight grip, crescent buttplate and tang sight in 25-20 WCF. I load cartridges using cast 86 grain flatnose bullets from an antique Lyman mold, and assemble the load using an antique Winchester hand loading tool. These bullets are cast from soft alloy and the case has blackpowder (and yes, the 25-20 was originally a blackpowder cartridge, despite what some articles or books say). I also load smokeless for it. The 60 grainers are fast, but not accurate. I found no point in loading 86 grain jacketed bullets since my blackpowder loads do better. However, CCI does make a nice 75 grain jacketed bullet that is a very good compromise. (I also load this bullet in the 25-35, and at those velocities it's explosive. The speed matches that of the .218 Bee.)

Also have a Winchester 1885 Single Shot Low Wall with a 26" #2 weight barrel, straight grip, crescent butt, with a JW Fecker 3x scope, in .25-20 SS (Single Shot). The action still has some color casing left. I have a pile of original Winchester cases. The bullet is cast from an antique 87 grain mold and has a pointed nose. All of my loads are blackpowder.

Both of the blackpowder loads are excellent for edible small game. The trajectory is similar to a .22 LR, but the bullet weighs a bit more than twice as much. It kills far better than any .22 LR. And it doesn't destroy meat like the .22 WMRF. You can eat right up to the bullet hole.

Pity more people don't understand what these guns were really designed for, or they'd be a lot more popular today.

12. furface

furface Member

I have a set of 25-20SS dies for sale if someone is looking for them. drop the x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

25 20 stevens single shot ammo

25 20 win shooters forum

winchester 1879 25-20ss ammo