1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Medium Duty truck

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MX/MT, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

I'm in the market for a Freightliner or International RV Hauler. Must have larger engine (FL - MB 330hp / IH - DT570) and air susp/cab/seats. Don't necessarily need all the luxury stuff.

Looking for low miles and/or (more importantly) properly maintained.

Anyone looking to downsize??

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

In the IH wouldn't the DT466 be a much more economical choice just to tow an RV..even if it is monstrous?

3. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

It's possible that a 466 would get better mileage, but most get better economy with the larger engine because it's not working as hard. Lots of factors come into play - tranny, rear-end ratio, where and how you drive, etc.

I want the power for pulling in the mountains.

4. CalvinMD

There are lots of versions of the 466..the stoutest version is 400hp and over 900ft/lb on the torque...that puts you in Semi truck territory plus with a 4.56 rear an 35" tires your peak torque rpm would be 62mph in a 1 to 1 top gear....flat out in overdrive you would be able to pull almost 100mph and probably still manage 12mpg...not bad huh? Personally I would go for the cool factor and restore an old B-Model Mack Thermodyne... my brothers and I restored my dads old Mack, the one he bought right before I was born in 1959...my little brother has it now since my dad passed away and that truck still looks awesome

5. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

calvin md. i have a 2000 pete with over a million miles on it sitting in the shed. it has a signature 600 cummins with over 2100 foot pounds of torque. not much out pulls it. drive it decent & it still gets over 6 mpg. i hope to some day stretch the frame. take out 1 axle find a pull camper with front kitchen. mount the camper on the truck & have myself one very cool camper. dwain

6. CalvinMD

That would be cool DC...you could paint on the back " my camper got a new Peter built"

7. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Haven't seen a 466 with that kind of power. Most are more like 250hp. The 570's I've seen have around 1000 lb/ft of torque/310hp.

I'm not familiar enough with these trucks to know what they do to change the HP output - programming? I do see ads for trucks with the same engines and widely varying power.

Just don't want to get stuck with a truck that won't pull the hills.

8. CalvinMD

here you go ...right from IH..just order it the level you need...would 300/860 be enough?...plus you get 400more rpm top and save about 200lbs...I know trucks,..my dad had a small 10 truck company for 39 years...this would serve you better in the long run

Performance Data

Horsepower
    (bhp) Torque
    (lb-ft) Gov. Spd
    (rpm) Clutch Engagement Torque @ 800 rpm

210 520 2600 400

220 540 2600 400

225 560 2600 400

225 620* 2400 420

245 620 2600 400

245 660* 2400 420
    255 660 2600 420
    260 800* 2400 420
    285 800* 2400 420

300 860 2400 420

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Calvin had it right on his first post. In the first place a dt466 will get way better than 6 mpg and have all the power you need to get over the hills and MOUNTAINS. Next if you went to a Freightliner with a Mercedes engine you could get 12 to 14 mpg and still have the same power as a dt466. You need to do a little more research with people who use medium duty trucks not wannabees. Bill

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I agree with Grill Bill.

11. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

I've been trying to Bill.

Kinda like trapshooting - everybody's an expert. Eventually you gotta decide to believe somebody.

I've talked to users, dealers, upfitters, haulers, truckers, etc. If there's one common theme it's that you want plenty of power. I ain't buying it for the fuel economy.

I've talked to retired guys that are perfectly happy crawling up 6% grades at 30 mph "because I'm in no hurry anyway" and they saved a few bucks on an older truck with less power. I've also talked to guys with their ass on fire that are ordering a new FL with 450/1650 cuz they don't want to drop below 65 on an 8% grade pulling 35,000 lbs.

I'm somewhere in between and I'd rather err on the side of more power. It's pretty hard to test drive all the different trucks with all the different engines pulling my trailer up a few mountains. I sure wish I could.

I'm looking at lightly used trucks and, while there aren't as many to choose from, trucks with bigger engines don't cost much more than the others.

I'm not looking to waste money on more than I need, but I sure don't want to spend that kind of money and find that it won't do the job.

Anyone have a truck I can use for a "test pull"?

12. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Contact Mountain Master in Phoenix, Az. They are up fitters. They will honestly answer any questions. They have been written up in Trailer Life magazine several times. Google them. They should come up.

Good folks to deal with. Sometimes they get trade-ins.

Phil

13. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Thanks, Phil. I've talked with Jerry at MM.

He's one of the guys that said "get the big engine".

I just don't really want to spend 120K. Perhaps they have a truck I could demo.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

We buy road trucks to use on the farm . You can get a very good clean 2005 Freightliner with less then 150,000 . With a big engine good tires ready to pull for around $27,000 . You can run them another 200,000 miles easy .

15. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

mx/mt check out this website. www.truckpaper.com. there are a gazillion used trucks of every kind & shape . i can tell you this much. with things the way they are in the trucking business with fuel costs. etc.etc. the only people buying trucks are farmers. shop around & you can find a truck that will fit your needs for a great price. it doesn,t matter if it is a dually to a class 8 . good luck. dwain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.