1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB: MEC or ? loader....

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Nick_N, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick_N

Nick_N Member

0   0   0

Looking to get into reloading. 12g, Single stage or progressive, let me know what you have...

Thanks
    Nick

2. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

0   0   0

Progressive all the way. 30 tugs equals a box of shells. On a single stage it takes 100 tugs per box I prefer ponsness warren reloaders. Worth the extra $ what gauge u wanting to reload? If it is for .410 go with a single stage. It seems like loading a pencil

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

0   0   0

If your just getting started,keep it simple.Best thing I can tell you,get a single stage,Mec singles are good. If you look on ebay you can most likly pick one up for 100.00 or less. I have both ,single and progressive,and the single is my go-to press all the time. Best of luck with what ever you choose..Ray

4. 16gun

16gun Member

0   0   0

Sterlingworth has it right. For the money mec single stage is the best first step before you advance to the progressive press. Remember loading is a "feel" operation as much as it is a mindless pull the handle operation. Good luck and enjoy the journey. Jerry

5. Hookedonshooting

0   0   0

Buying a single stage makes sense based on price. But you will be selling it in 2 months looking for a progressive loader. The extra $100 to get one is worth it. I have posted u tube vids on the subject. And make sure you have a tray undder it cause u will drop shot. Pm me if u want more details. I buy and recondition them as ahobby.

6. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

0   0   0

Bite the bullet and spend the $$$ to get a good loader, I suggest the RCBS Grand, got one several years ago, dumped my MEC and never looked back. Woody

7. fsquared51

fsquared51 Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I have a 9000g 12ga Mec 375.00 plus shipping
    Tom Fiori

8. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I will second the RCBS Grand. It is fool proof and you can load one shell at a time to get used to loading and have a great progressive when you are ready plus RCBS has great service. Bill Hom

9. Hookedonshooting

0   0   0

I understand the mec lovers along with rcbs folks. But imo you cant beat a Ponsness Warren if u can get one at a decent price. Load a box of shells in less than 5 minutes. Whatever u buy just make sure ots mounted on a heavy/stable bench. You ll get consistent powder drops

10. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Ive got a nice MEC 600 JR 12 GA. 1 1/8 oz bar set up with the bushing of your choice. $100 shipped. 509-205-0357. Also have a 20 gauge setup. Jw

11. dmasencup

dmasencup Member

0   0   0

Better take brdslayr's offer. If you shoot weekly, that gives you 6 days to load 4 boxes of shells. Get a couple of beers, turn on the radio, and get away from the wife and kids for a few minutes a day. I actually enjoy loading shells. Never dropped shot and got discouraged with my MEC Jr., but with my 9000 I had shot and powder all over my bench the first week I owned it.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Learn how to reload on a Mec single stage press. After you get things figured out you can graduate to a Mec progressive and use the single stage to fix your mistakes on the progressive. A good choice would be a Mec Sizemaster so you can resize your hulls.HMB

13. Nick_N

Nick_N Member

0   0   0

Thanks for all the words of wisdom..I picked up a sizemaster off EBay and have slowly collecting everything I need to get going.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.