1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Lightweight varmint rifle

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by gena321, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gena321

gena321 Member

0   0   0

While I am on this site this morning I may as well put in here something I am looking for.I am looking for a lightweight varmint rifle. Calibers are, but am open to others are....223,22-250,6mm, I think you get my drift...It can be an Encore, or something like that also.Please be reasonable on your price..
    Thank you...Gene from Pa....golfer2b2000@yahoo.com or call 724 662 3659...

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

oh my god-- thats like asking a question on religion!!!i was at a gunshow yesterday- must seen a 500 guns that fit that category! goodluck

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Gene, would you consider a semi auto 22 mag.?

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

"light weight" eliminates a bull barrel, and it can also hurt accuracy for some gunners.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

John,

You hit it right on the head.

I have a couple of sporters that shoot very well for hunting guns. Neither of which would ever be confused for a good varmit gun. They start getting a little flustered if I try to shoot them with the barrels still hot.

ss

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

As other have said, sporters in .223 up to .243 are plentiful. I troll the Remington Model 700s for sale on GunsAmerica.com and GunBroker.com each week and I see several in just Model 700s every time.

Sporters can be accurate enough for varmiting. I've always kept a Model 700DBL in 6mm Remington with a 4-12x or 4.5-14x scope around for days when the hay or alphafa is high and more walking than usual and off-hand shots will be required. Get them bedded and work up loads for them and they'll shoot well. Not one-hole groups like a heavy-barreled rig can be capable of, but well enough.

One of my favorite varmint/deer rifles is a stainless Model 700BDL in .25-06 bedded into a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. It will put either five 75-grain or 100-grain bullets into just under 3/4" at 100 yards and the two groups are 1/2" apart, so I have the 4.5-14x Leupold on it zeroed with the 75-grain load and don't touch it from season to season.

Ed

7. traphouse52

traphouse52 Member

0   0   0

The ultimate in a lightweight varmint rifle is a remiington 700 from the custom shop that has a carbon fiber barrel. It is no heavier than a sporter barrel and you can shoot it all you want and it won't get hot. I've only shot this one a little less than 100 rounds. It will put 5 shots into 3/8-1/2 inch every time. Not particular about the load either. don't know why Remington only made them for about a year. They were about $1600. when new. christianson arms will still make a similar rig, but about $3,000 last I checked. I will sell this one for $1,600 if anyone is interested.

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

0   0   0

You can buy a Stevens in .223 or 22-250 that is made by Savage and has a pillar bedded, free floated barrel for less than $300 if you have a friend with an FFL to buy it for you and arrange the transfer. They are very accurate for the first 3 to 5 shots until the barrel gets hot and the trigger is not bad out of the box and very easy to work on. Light weight, cheap and also brand new. Just add your favorite scope start busting varmints.

9. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

I just recently relisted on Gun Broker a Savage Model 10 Preditor in .223

[​IMG]

PM or email if you have an interest. There were no bids on it as of a few minutes ago. Savage has really done a great job with their Accu Trigger.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

10. steele

steele TS Member

0   0   0

I have the Rem 700 carbon barrel in .223 & also .308. Both shoot groups that are stunning for a supposed factory gun. The .223 loves Black Hills 36 gr Varmint Grenades. I topped it with a 6-24 OIR Valdada scope & it even looks mean. I spoke to the Rem reps @ Vandalia & they said they only produced a small amount for marketing research & sold the guns at just about cost. They would have to sell them for 2000+, but they found most people would not spend that much on a factory gun, but they would for a "custom" built gun. They also offered them in 22/250, but I haven't been able to find one of them yet.
    Super light & super accurate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

724-662-3659

i want a new lightweight varminter rifle