1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB: Left Hand Bolt Action Rifle for My Teen

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Clayshooter25, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clayshooter25

Clayshooter25 Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I am looking to see what might be available for my 13 year old son. He is a southpaw and I'd like him to have a true lefty rifle. To be clear, I am just looking to see what guys may have in their safe. Only reply to this thread if you understand that I am just shopping around at this time - - I don't want to make anyone nuts!

He will mostly be hunting whitetail in the northeast with the potential of coming across a black bear. I am considering the following calibers: 7mm-08, 243 Win, 25-06 and 260 Rem. While he has not been recoil shy, I am trying to keep the recoil to a minimum, so he "wants" to shoot at the range. I realize I could go for a heavier caliber and use Remington Managed Recoil (I do NOT reload rifle cartridges), but that can make shooting at the range rather expensive.

I'd like to spend under $500.

Perhaps someone has a safe queen they'd like to have a kid shoot or a rifle that their own kid has outgrown. Please pm me with photos and your asking price.

Thanks!

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I'm keeping all my M700 lefty bolt guns for my own kid (also a lefty).

But if I didn't already have a collection I would go buy a new Savage 110 series (many variants). You can find left hand models of these in your price range in all of the calibers mentioned. Now with regard to caliber, you can't go wrong with the .243 Winchester. Just because it doesn't kick much doesn't mean that it is underpowered. Your kid will really like shooting the .243 and it is also one of the less ezpensive factory loaded rounds that you will find all day long where ever ammo is sold.

If you are worried that this isn't enough gun, I know several great big he men that use the .243 and similar class rounds to drop great big mule deer at very long ranges. Plenty of power.

3. Proofdoubles

Proofdoubles Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

4. Clayshooter25

Clayshooter25 Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I am in your boat as well with a lefty on the way up. Being a die hard 700 remington fan I am always looking as well. I am in the process of doing exactly what Wolframs is talking about and getting her a left hand savage.

I bought her a perfect 700m BDL in 308 lefty and I had it rebarreled to .260 just like one of mine. It's a beauty but cost me more then I will ever get out of it. The savage is the way to go. Jeff

6. pokerdand

pokerdand Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Have a left hand Savage 111 in 7MM mag very nice condition shot very little, 275 plus shipping.

7. 100straight

100straight Member

0   0   0

For me it would be a left hand model 10 (11,12,14,16) Savage. You can pick them up in either blue or stainless for under $500 in .243 or .308.

Mark.

8. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

0   0   0

Buy him a new one;
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=241939412
    You won't be able to find a lefty used for that, believe me I know I've been looking for myself.

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

0   0   0

Check out the link. It's a Savage 10GLXP3 Package 7MM-08 Left-Handed for $584. A little over your price, but close and it has a scope.

You won't need much more work to find a lefty rifle used for less. They're out there, just keep looking.

10. Clayshooter25

Clayshooter25 Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Still looking guys...

11. Clayshooter25

Clayshooter25 Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Giving it another try!

12. Clayshooter25

Clayshooter25 Member