1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB K80 Case Hardened

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by TDB III, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

0   0   0

Looking for K80 Trap with case hardened metal finish. Would like it with removable trigger assembly and 34" over-single but will look at fixed trigger assembly and any barrel configuration or combo. I have upgrade wood so will also look at just the metal. No K32's please. Looking only for excellent condition or better. Good shooting.

Thanks,

Tom

2. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

TDB III (Tom), I am sure you know that what you are talking about in your thread could possibly be 2 different animals. Saying you have the wood, but are asking about a removable trigger assembly gun or possible a fixed one instead, means 2 different types of wood. The buttstocks for a RT (Removable Trigger) gun are totally different than a buttstock for the major percentage of fixed trigger assembly guns. You might be in search for different wood is someone comes up with a RT gun and you have a standard trigger buttstock. Mike* (MH*)

3. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

0   0   0

Hi Mike: Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough in my post. I have wood for either trigger configuration as I have and shoot both configurations for trap at present. Both guns have really nice super upgrade wood and I've been looking for a case hardened K80 for several years. The nickel guns (like mine) are nice but there is something about case coloring on a long gun. Good shooting.

Tom

4. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Tom, just wanted to make sure you didn't buy something that wouldn't fit on your woord, but you know your Krieghoff's. I shoot Blued Super Scrolls. just something about the blued guns that catch my eye, but the engraving doesn't "seem" to show up as well as on a nitride or nickle gun. I usually have to explain what it is to people that don't see a lot of blued k-80's/ Even had an argument with an older Model 32 shooter who hadn't kept up with the newer K-guns, because he tried to tell me mine wasn't a K-80, because those guns were silver, and mine was just like his, and older M-32 !!! Oh well, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I gave up trying to prove what it was. He also had some problems with his eyesight and would never had been able to see the K-80 engraved on the bottom.

If you ever need a case-color hardened top latch (hood), I have 2 I got from my old Krieghoff gunsmith when he passed away last year, and also a nice blued one. Trying to sell them to help his widow get some money back from his parts. $200 for the case-colored ones, and $125 for the blued one. Mike* (MH*)

5. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks Mike. As soon as I find the CC K80 I'll be in touch about the top latch. I've only had one positive response and am waiting for pic's to see what the metal looks like. Good shooting.

Tom

6. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

0   0   0

Still hoping to find K80 color case hardened trap gun or metal. Any help is appreciated.

Tom

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

You can have a receiver de nickled and then color case hardend- I have actually had several K80s and K32s done over the years

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

0   0   0

Hi Gene: I talked to Doug Turnbull about doing just that at the SCI Convention in January and he didn't want anything to do with it as he said (claimed?) that the receiver metal on the nickeled Krieghoff's would become to soft after de-nickeling to then be case hardened and "not" distort. He said that the metal used on the K80's (we only spoke about the K80) was not a strong enough alloy for him to take a chance. I'm not sure if he meant that the de-nickeling process takes something away from the metal or what as that was about the end of our conversation about the K80's. He was very adamant about it. Who did your work, how long ago and do you still have the guns and shoot them? I'm wondering about metal fatigue or ? after talking to Turnbull. Thanks, Tom

Hi sts1100: Thanks for the info about Paxton. Tom

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

No metal fatique

Turnbull may do good work( and charge a fortune) but he doesnt have a clue about metal temper if that is what he said

There are two seperate processes to remove nickle and neither involves any significant heat.

1. Electrolic denickle- just the opposite of nickle plating

2. Several different mixtures- they dissolve the nickle but not the steel- Brownells did mine

3. I had http://www.craftguard.com/ de nickle it and then had a guy in Wyoming color case harden them- he used the cyanide approach. That cyanide is obviously more harzardous.

Yes I shot them extensively

Turnballs method however does use a several hundred more degrees of heat than the cyanide method-- it also is more likely to provide brighter colors- something he rightfully prides himself on

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

0   0   0

Gene

Is there a difference between "case hardened" & "case colored" ?

ernie

11. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Yes there is a difference between case hardened and case color, I have a case color k80 that was done by Signal Mountain Gun Works, it was a blue logo gun to start with and the case color looks great with all the colors, I also had the forend roseets and barrel hanger case colored also. It is holding up verry well I shoot sporting clays with it. thanks Ronnie

12. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

0   0   0

Hi Gene: Maybe Turnbull "is" afraid of the heat he'd be introducing with his charcoal method. Anway, thanks for the info. I think I'll go in that direction now as I've done quite a bit of business with Brownell's and trust their work.

Thanks you guys. Good discussion.

Tom

13. idoc

idoc Member

0   0   0

Mike,

I know what you feel about the blued super scroll. I have a gold receiver on order that is scheduled to arrive in May.

My question is concerning care. Does the bluing hold up better than on a P gun? Thanks for the help...............Rich

14. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

0   0   0

sts1100.....Thanks a bunch! I'm in touch with them this am.

Tom

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

That one @ Jaquas is sharp as h*ll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.