1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Jeep Wrangler for 16 year old

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by backfenceata, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

Looking for a nice wrangler for 16 year old girls first car. I am in southern IL . Needs to be an auto trans and a sharp color. PM or e-mail me with what you have. Thanks, Kirk

2. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

Thanks, we are also concerned for safety, she is also looking at the mustangs,small motor , auto trans . I am goeing to do more research. Kirk

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I with Eddie on this one. Better safe than sorry always.

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

I owned one for 8 years. I was 50 when I bought it.

Fun vehicle. Take the doors off, take the roof off and you can have a blast. Maybe too much so. Never rolled it over, but came close a couple of times. It's the mental attitude you get behind the wheel of one of these. Sure is zippy, but will slide on wet grass. No traction, no weight.

Just my 2 cents...YMMV

cap

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had a friend that bought her(only child) daughter something like this. Daughter was at a party and got her feelings hurt about her boyfriend. Left the party and was driving and ran off the road and rolled.

Her mother was called and told you better get to the hospital- when she arrived- not a visible mark on her daughter but her daughter was dead

Buy her a used mini van- she wont be tempted to let guys drive that or speed around it in

Mini Vans are some of the safest vehicles on the roads.

None of the soccer moms want those after they have about 70 thou on them

not joking

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Buick LeSabre. Be the Dad, not her best friend. 16 year olds usually make mistakes behind the wheel. In a Jeep that mistake could be fatal.

7. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

Probally a jeep cherokee might be a better choice. Longer wheel base, good in the winter and with a straight six, a very dependable engine.

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

All things considered, all rigs will rollover under the right conditions. If you are serious about this as a first rig, drill into your kid Jeep are fun BUT will get you in trouble QUICKER then any other rig on the road!

I've always wanted one myself, finialy at the ripe old age of 52 I got one! My days of needing a pickup were over so I found a nice 92 Wrangler Renegade! Great ride, I know when not to "push" it! And that only comes from years of experience in logging and cattle ranching!

Find a nice one and buy it! BUT if your daughter has shown she doesn't obey previous instruction from you or her mother, DON'T DO IT!

9. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Well I put my daughter in a Jeep wrangler as her first vehicle. I also put in a poison spider full roll cage. TJ after 96 or 97 have a lower center of gravity. The vulnerable area is the sides. T bones accidents suck in Jeeps. Do searchs on death rates in vehicles and insurance ratings as well as crash est results.

Make it a 5spd and she'll be able to drive about anything the rest of her life.

Go with a six cyl and you will also learn to work on jeeps. The little yellow light will drive you nuts. Aslo if you plan on doing any highway driving a hardtop is a must. It like sitting in a jet engine doing 60 in a soft top.

Tons of info on the Jeep forum.

Both sold with no tears shed
    [​IMG]

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My wifes nephew's mother bought him a used BMW 525 for his first car. He wrecked it. Sad to say his life is over. He suffered brain shear. He has the memory of a 90 year old with Alzheimers. If your daughter is still in H.S. what does she need a car for?.
    Tell her the following, you & her save the money till she graduates. With the money that you will save on gas, insurance, maintenance,etc. for close to 2 years she'll have a good car

Phil Berkowitz

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yup...whoever it was that said be a dad not a buddy has it right..as a member of a family that lost 2 teenage drivers my advice is buy them a minivan or a smaller engined 4 door sedan...it removes the temptation to do anything stupid for the sake of "lookin cool"...a nice older Monte Carlo 6cylinder is a safe, economical, peppy..cheaply insured ..and did I mention SAFE car...I'd rather be sitting around with them in 20yrs with THEIR kids and them ragging you about that big old behemoth you made them drive as a first car...they'll thank you for it in the end

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would also advise against the Jeep as a first vehicle. Actually any of the true 4x4s lack the handling and safety characteristics that she should have.

The late model Mustang would be a pretty decent choice. They are cool and they handle really well plus they have alot of desireable safety features. Word of caution though, even the V6/auto trans base model still has plenty of get up and go. Another good choice is the late model Ford Fusion. Not quite as cool or peppy as the Mustang but very reliable and it has front wheel drive which will be a huge plus if there is some foul weather driving in her future.

Good luck and kudos for thinking an important decision like this through.

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

my 2 cents is also the same to stay away. try an all wheel drive subaru, chevy equinox, any of the 4 wheel drive vehicles are good. Jeep XJ--older models wagons, ford explorer or escape. They like 4 wheel drive but make sure that you tell them it is NOT 4 wheel stop. A good driving school is great for kids to learn to drive. Try something like mid ohio racetrack in lexington ohio. They have a teen driving school that teaches car control and NOT racing even though it is on a race course. Check the web site. Really great experience for young and old alike. I think it is www.midohio.com motordoc

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Buy her the biggest, sturdiest Mercedes with the most airbags you can afford!!

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I had to build my first "cool" car...I drove a 67 BelAir station wagon with a 250ci I-6 and 2spd powerglide that my grandparents gave me...it was a great car and got me around and never got away from me ..I was a way better driver after I made the move to the cool car..a 68 Malibu 396SS 4spd...still drove the wagon alot afterwards cuz it went further on a tank of $.55 per gallon low test...plus it had working AC!

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I got my first daughter a Pontiac Trans Am. Big engine,fast rear end and the gas mileage was bad. A year later I traded it in on a 280 Z. Both were automatics, fast and she never had any problems. I guess I was lucky.

I got my next daughter a one year old used Pontiac Fierro. Nice small sporty looking rear engine car that only sat two.

What ever you decide to get check on the insurance as it may be cost prohibitive. Responsibility is a must. Ray

17. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Whats wrong with the bus?....There is absolutely no good reason for a 16 yr old to have their own car....Putting your child in a death trap so she can be popular is stupid.

18. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I have two daughters both turning 16 this week( not twins but one is adopted)
    I have had anxitey over this. Driving school is a must when ? I am going too hold off as long as I can.

19. rw993

rw993 Active Member

All three of my offspring learned to drive my '85 GMC 3500 quad cab 4x4 before they could drive anything small, light, fast, or unstable(read:Jeep). I have a 74 CJ5 and know of what I speak. After the "training" period, they were provided with a vehicle that had a straight stick so they would have a driving experience as opposed to a steering and stopping experience..... Worked pretty well....

RW

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I guess the need for own and driving a vehicle at 16 years of age depends a lot on the part of the country you are in and what your lifestyle is. Out here in big open country, having your own transportation is a must - no such thing as public transit. Also it is something associated with growing into an adult - pretty important stuff.

That being said, I do fear the day that my daughter solos. I will do everything I can to prepare her for it but I will still worry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.