1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Ithaca model 51 shell catcher

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by roadking07, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadking07

roadking07 TS Member

0   0   0

Looking to buy shell catcher for Ithaca 51. Would also be interested in Monte Carlo stock for 51. Thanks Steve

2. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I have a plastic T&S shell catcher that say's XL 900 on the bottom rail. On the back on masking tape someone wrote XL 900 Ithaca. Call T&S and see if this one will fit the model 51. If it does PM me

Jim R

3. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0

The shell catcher for a M51 Ithaca comes with a modified bolt handle to allow the bolt to close. The Ithaca 900 model will not work. ThEy are very scarce and not seen very often. I sold one a out 6 months ago.

4. roadking07

roadking07 TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks for both of your info. I hope somebody out there has one. I would buy two if available. Thanks Steve

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

You have a PM

6. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

0   0   0

I found that I have a pair of unused Ithaca 51 shell catcher sets that include the modified bolt handle.

Kirby

7. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

0   0   0

Looks like one of the two that I have is considered SPF.

I also found that I have one regular Remington Trap 1100 shell catcher that fits standard 12 and 20 frames.

Kirby

8. cnsane

cnsane Member

0   0   0

Hmmm,,, I always just removed the gas piston from my 51 Mag and the bolt never opened until I pulled it back. Then it latched open so I could drop my next shell into the chamber and hit the bolt release. Memories from simpler times,,,before I could afford a real trap gun with a hinge.

9. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

0   0   0

One point to ponder when removing a piece of the gas mechanism is that then all of the gas is no longer confined for any length of time and is free to vent at full pressure into the mechanism through the barrel ports. Fouling is bound to be increased to some extent in that situation.

At the same time, no gas is driving the mechanism and providing the delayed recoil impulse that all shooters recognize as the hallmark of the gas-operated self-loader vs. the recoil-driven self-loader or fixed breech firearm.

The heavier the bolt/action slide etc. components of the mechanism, the more reaction of the gun to the gas delay recoil effect. While the bolt etc. is being driven rearward, the rest of the gun is driven slightly forward for a fraction of a second, thus delaying the impulse until the bolt components complete the first part of the stroke.

Kirby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ithaca model 51 trap gun shell catcher

slide stays open on last shell ithaca 51