1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB: Free Advice

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Voolfie, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

0   0   0

Am sometimes moving the gun before my eyes have acquired (not necessarily focused on) the target - with the result that my eyes end up focusing on the bead instead of the bird. If I keep the gun 'dead-still' until my eyes have acquired the bird, then sometimes the bird beats me and I don't catch up to it.

I know that's not a lot to go on, but...any suggestions?

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

0   0   0

Change you focus. I used to have a similar flinch, but then I began using a "soft focus" of the area right above the house and distance to approx where I break the bird. It really helped. Try looking out beyond the bead so that the target area is clear and in focus and the beads are fuzzy. Also don't stare into one spot. Keep yours eyes open on the whole area. And when you see the bird, make a sharp and deliberate move to it, don't sleep on it.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

0   0   0

Adjust your "hold points" to compensate for your difficulty in acquiring the bird... (e.g. hold a bit farther right off the traphouse, on position #5 to compensate for a hard right hard target...)

Help yourself to hit the bird...

Advice worth every penny you paid for it!

Jay

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

It sounds like you are being 'suprised' sometimes when the bird comes out of the house. Another way of saying that would be the target wasn't where you thought it would be.

I would try starting the gun much lower and don't worry about the fact that you aren't even close to looking at the bead when you call pull. Look just over the top of the house and mentally focus on the idea that you want to see a whole target just as soon as it comes out of the house. Once you do see that target and lock on to it the gun will follow and you will get into shooting position plenty quick.

When you are satisfied with how you are seeing the target then begin trying other starting points for the gun until you find the sweet spot where it all seems to come together.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Stop doing that.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

"loose the beads"

IF the gun fits you correctly you do not really need the beads.

Think about it. If the gun fits, and you have a consistent mount what purpose do they serve??

An older member of my club was having the same problem. I suggested he try blacking out the beads with a Sharpie pen - really made a difference in his scores (Addendum - He just reported he shot an 83 in sporting clays last weekend after removing the front bead and blacking out the middle bead).

If you can't see the beads, you can't look at them...

Food for thought

7. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

0   0   0

Tron, you sound like my wife.

8. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Try taking the front bead off. Works for me!

Bob M.

9. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

0   0   0

I agree about the beads, Mark Arie shot a Marlin pump no rib and no beads. He was one of the best shots ever. My eyes need reading and distance glasses so that looking closeup is blurry. I mount the gun so my eyes line up straight down the barrel rib, then I focus out at the edge of the house so the bird doesn't "surprise" me but it does. Reflexes and mental speed take alot of practice to fine tune and I just haven't shot enough to be perfect(good). At 65 is no time to take this up seriously when kids are busting straights. Good shooters that shoot for years still shoot great when old, but just starting out when old is a real challenge!

Harry Lyga

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I watched Daro Handys DVD, it helped me cure this problem. Holding a lower gun is a help also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.