1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB English Setter pup

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by cartucci, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cartucci

cartucci Member

0   0   0

Looking for a top line English Setters breeder. Preferably Llewellin Setter hunting dog, no field trials, any input would be Appreciated. Thank You, Pat

2. cartucci

cartucci Member

0   0   0

3. Garry

Garry Active Member

0   0   0

This kennel has produced some excellent Llewellin bird dogs.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Llewellin or Ryman would be my pick.

5. cartucci

cartucci Member

0   0   0

What's the difference between a Llewellin and a. Ryman? I have a Llewellin now , he's 9 years old. Just want to get ready for next year.

6. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Kelly Shepherd in Waverly, Ohio has outstanding line of English setters. He is a straight guy to deal with.

Charlie Becknell

7. Setterman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Ryman's are considered great grouse dogs. They are slower, deliberate, and calm dogs. Great trackers. Usually a bit shorter. A true Ryman points with the tail at near horizontal, while a Llewellen holds a high, longer tail.

Rymans were originally trained for netting birds, or at least that has been stated, but questioned. The horizontal tail prevented the tail from catching the net when tossed.

Google Ryman setters....interesting reading.

8. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

0   0   0

I have had both, the Ryman male (1 1/2 year old)I have now is the best pup ever. The disposition is easy to train and have around the house. Maybe considered a soft dog by some but easier than a big running field trial cull for me.

9. ned408

ned408 Member

0   0   0

I would make sure to speak with Gerry Addison, he's on this site. He has excellent setters and usually has a litter or two this time of year. He has a really nice line of dogs, he's in Ohio.
    Randy Ross

10. BBowen

BBowen Member

0   0   0

Try Berg Bros. Setters in Minnesota. I just purchased a 9 week old pup from them. They are the top breeder in the USA in my opinion. Scott Berg is an honest, hard working breeder/trainer that has been in the business for many years. Currently, they have a started female and at least one pup. See their website for video and pics.

Bruce Bowen
    Sturgis, SD

11. Carex

Carex TS Member

0   0   0

Would like to offer a different perspective. Currently have my 3rd show setter. Also have a "rescue" field setter - which we got to keep the other company. People ask if I hunt with my dogs when we're out for a walk. I explain that the big, lanky show setter goes in the field with me, while the field setter stays at home with my wife. After hunting with various friends and their dogs over the last 35 years, I wouldn't even consider a field setter as a hunting companion. Here's the reasons I like the show stock.
    *They're calmer!!!
    *They aren't so hard wired. Which means they learn instead of react.
    *They've all had better noses than any field setter I've been around - between 8 to 10 different dogs.
    *They're very deliberate in how they hunt. They cover a lot of ground, but they don't run, just to be running - if you know what I mean.

I live in Montana, so I hunt a wide variety of upland birds and habitat. Not to say that a field setter wouldn't work for you, or have been excellent dogs for others. I just hate to see a person who isn't prepared to handle a highly bred dog. It's not fun seeing a white dot disappear over the horizon.

Good luck !

12. cartucci

cartucci Member

0   0   0

Thanks for all the information guys , always open for more suggestions. Pat

13. Setterman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Carex, You probably have a Ryman/Hemlock, or Lllwewllan that you call a "show dog". They look like show dogs!

There are a lot of standard setters that are big running dogs.

Google Ryman, Hemlock, or Llewellan setters

14. Carex

Carex TS Member

0   0   0

Setterman, Not sure what their lineage is/was, but each came from breeders who traveled the show circuit in western US and Canada. Agree that the Ryman look fairly similar. Either way, they are truly beautiful dogs to hunt behind.

Hope you and everyone else is having an enjoyable season in the field.

C

15. Setterman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

They don't look so pretty when I shave them before hunting season!

Thay are cockle-burr magnets!

16. Carex

Carex TS Member

0   0   0

... and burdock, and hounds-tongue, and licorice. :)

17. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

0   0   0

I bought a Llewellin setter a female pup 9 months old never ran big enough for field trials payed $600.00 for her and had to breed her back to who I bought her from to his stud dog for to return 2 pups,I trained dogs at Nilo Olin spelled backwards,bought her for a hunting dog,first week of hunting season I showed her where to find wild birds she took off strong killed 200 birds first year myself,Alot of quail then not counting other people that killed birds off of her Susie was her name,I hunted her till she turned 9 was going blind still killed birds off of her,I hated putting her down but she was running into trees,I used to take guest on shoots at Nilo 1975-19771/2 I really miss Susie I will probalay never have another dog like her,Used to get in 5 or 6 cubbys of quail in a day,Mike Jordan saw her hunt with me one day,Now U would be lucky to find 2 small cubbys in one long day,Not enough wild quail for me to get a dog,I really miss them days,Pen raised quail are not like the wild ones,I really miss them days and SUSIE,Dan I have 2 Jack Russel pups Cuda and Charger 5 months old they are very intelligent dogs,Smarter than Labs that I trained having a ball with them training them now,Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

berg bros setters forums